Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
chaitanya.mehrotra
Students

Man SC

by chaitanya.mehrotra Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:11 pm

She already woke up when the phone rang.

Manhattan SC Exp :Already woke up (simple past) should be had already woken up (past perfect). We need to use the past perfect here because the word already requires this use for a momentary action such as wake up, when placed prior to another past action. It would be fine to say She was already awake when the phone rang, because was awake is a state and thus takes up time. In that case, already would indicate that this state was in effect before the phone rang. However, when you use already with the simple past of a momentary action, you convey a present perfect meaning. As your spouse shakes you out of bed, you might say I already woke up, but in proper English you should say I HAVE already woken up. In other words, the action is complete, AND the effect (your wakefulness) continues to the present. In the sample sentence, since we want the subject's wakefulness to continue up through some point in the past (when the phone rang), we must use the past perfect of wake up.

Can somebody explain what Manhattan is trying to explain . The explanation provided is not clear and very confusing. I cannot make out the take aways !
mithunsam
Course Students

Re: Man SC

by mithunsam Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Let me try...

"She already woke up when the phone rang"

In this particular sentence, we do not know which action took place first. However, we can correct this mistake in two ways.

1) By using "past perfect tense" for action that took place first

"She had already woken up when the phone rang"

From this sentence, it is understood that the action represented in past perfect took place first (that is, had ... woken up). This means that she woke up first, then the phone rang.

2) By using "already" with simple past

"She was already awake when the phone rang"

This conveys a similar meaning as above. However, when you use "already" with simple past tense, you convey a present perfect meaning... as if like the action has just completed (not something that happened two days back!)

Hope that makes sense...
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Nice explanation, thanks!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
cumulonimbus
Forum Guests

by cumulonimbus Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:03 am

As per the explanation below, i am a bit confused by what 'momentary action' refers to. In the second sentence momemtary action is cleary the act 'wake up'.
However later reference suggests that use of already with the 'simple past of a momentary action', which here is 'rang'.

Is my understanding correct? Does momentary action both times refer to same thing?

Manhattan SC Exp :Already woke up (simple past) should be had already woken up (past perfect). We need to use the past perfect here because the word already requires this use for a momentary action such as wake up, when placed prior to another past action. It would be fine to say She was already awake when the phone rang, because was awake is a state and thus takes up time. In that case, already would indicate that this state was in effect before the phone rang. However, when you use already with the simple past (rang)of a momentary action, you convey a present perfect meaning. As your spouse shakes you out of bed, you might say I already woke up, but in proper English you should say I HAVE already woken up. In other words, the action is complete, AND the effect (your wakefulness) continues to the present. In the sample sentence, since we want the subject's wakefulness to continue up through some point in the past (when the phone rang), we must use the past perfect of wake up.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 pm

you've told us you're confused but then ask if your understanding is correct. i'm guessing it is not correct if you're confused, although it's unclear exactly what your understanding of this issue is or what exactly your question is. can you clearly explain what your question or concern is so we can help you?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
abhisheks901
Students

by abhisheks901 Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 am

she already woke up when the phone rang. sc 6th edition chapter 8 question 4 page 131.

Manhattan SC Exp :Already woke up (simple past) should be "had already woken up" (past perfect). We need to use the past perfect here because the word "already" requires this use for a momentary action such as "wake up", when placed prior to another past action. It would be fine to say "She was already awake when the phone rang", because was awake is a state and thus takes up time. In that case, "already" would indicate that this state was in effect before the phone rang. However, when you use already with the simple past of a momentary action, you convey a present perfect meaning. As your spouse shakes you out of bed, you might say I already woke up, but in proper English you should say I HAVE already woken up. In other words, the action is complete, AND the effect (your wakefulness) continues to the present. In the sample sentence, since we want the subject's wakefulness to continue up through some point in the past (when the phone rang), we must use the past perfect of wake up.

Correct: she had already woken up when the phone rang.

my query is: what is this momentary action that is being discussed here? and Already is clearly expressing that he woke up earlier and phone rang later. so why is need of past perfect here?

Thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

what is this momentary action that is being discussed here?

The momentary action here is "wake up". It's called 'momentary' because it only takes a very short time.
Already is clearly expressing that he woke up earlier and phone rang later. so why is need of past perfect here?

It's true that the meaning is clear, but there's another rule here about momentary actions. The rule is that when you use 'already' with a momentary action, then you need to use a perfect tense.