Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
borrelli_13
Course Students

Making up examples for the Analysis of an Argument Essay

by borrelli_13 Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 pm

I took the GMAT Write Essay yesterday (see below) and have a question regarding the essays: Is it ok to make up examples for the analysis of an argument essay? For instance, I used an example of a specific brand of coffee Dunkin Donuts introduced this summer to counter the argument by stating it was a failure. I have no idea if it was a failure or not. If it is ok to stretch the truth, is it ok to makeup actual figures?

"The Excelsior Company plans to introduce its own brand of coffee. Since coffee is an expensive food item, and since there are already many established brands of coffee, the best way to gain customers for the Excelsior brand is to do what Superior, the leading coffee company, did when it introduced the newest brand in its line of coffees: conduct a temporary sales promotion that offers free samples, price reductions, and discount coupons for the new brand."

Thanks!
Adam
borrelli_13
Course Students

Re: Making up examples for the Analysis of an Argument Essay

by borrelli_13 Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:34 pm

And my test is Monday morning, so any feedback before then would be greatly appreciated!
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Adam, sorry we didn't catch this question before your test, but I'll answer now for the benefit of others.

It's not ideal to make up examples for the essays, particularly when that example is about something that could be easily Googled. While the essay grades are mainly based on how well you organize and support your arguments as well as your basic language ability, it can't help your credibility to cite an example the grader happens to recognize as false.

If you must stretch the truth or fill in forgotten details, I think it's safest to cite personal examples or simply omit/change the names:
--"At my company, a recent new product launch was successful because..."
--"Early in my career, I worked with a manager who..."
--"A local shipping company experienced such a problem when..."
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
borrelli_13
Course Students

by borrelli_13 Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:33 pm

I scored a 660 with only a 3.5 on the essays. However, I'm taking it again on Monday and appreciate the tip. Thanks!
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Good luck!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT