If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
JohnF416
Forum Guests

Low GPA - Possible Schools?

by JohnF416 Thu May 29, 2014 4:53 am

Hello,

I plan on pursuing an MBA and would appreciate thoughts on gaining admission to some target MBA programs despite a low undergrad GPA (~2.75 in Real Estate @ an average state school.) I am a white male, believe I will score 720/730 on the GMAT, and will be around 31/32 at the time of application.

Here are some soft factors that I hope will help my chances of admission:
- Co-Founder/Exec of startup that has raised $6MM+ in angel and venture funding
- Admitted to a top Silicon Valley startup accelerator
- Demonstrated upward movement (promotions) in early career prior to startup
- Earned J.D. at top 50 law school (~top 25% of class) while working full-time
- At time of application, I will have ~8 years of work experience
- Played two D-1 varsity sports in college (All-American, multiple team conference championships and national championships) (partial explanation for the low GPA)
- ADHD diagnosis post-undergrad (partial explanation for the low GPA)

I plan on concentrating on entrepreneurship or possibly real estate. Schools I would be interested in are:
- HBS
- GSB
- Haas
- Kellogg
- LBS
- Said
- Judge
- IE
- IESE

I really like the idea of an pursuing an MBA in Europe, as I feel the perspective alone would be an education. Any chance of gaining admission to these programs? I am open to the part-time option.

Thank you for any advice/perspective!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Low GPA - Possible Schools?

by mbamissionjenK Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting your profile information. You've got some strengths and some challenges, as you know, with regard to MBA admission. ;) And to a certain extent there is a lot I don't know based on this brief info that may be relevant.

Your strengths:

-your start-up experience sounds like it'd be valuable in a b-school classroom; though still unclear if you've actually established a business, what it is, whether that is your full-time role, etc

-likely solid work experience overall but I don't know in what area/s?

-likely leadership experiences you can draw from?

-extracurriculars

Your challenges:

-GPA, yes. Though to a certain degree, if you also went to law school and did much better, and that was more recent, then that helps. Also a stellar GMAT helps (and frankly would be necessary).

-there is the potential for adcomm to ask-- does he NEED an MBA?! and you don't want there to be uncertainty about that. ;) Make sure you can clearly detail exactly WHY you need this degree, and exactly how you would use it... if there is any doubt, it could keep you out. ;)

You are older than the average applicants, though the average age at many European schools is a bit higher than US schools, since you mentioned the European schools appealing to you. I can share from a personal perspective, there is a lot to be said for classes that are made up of very international perspectives, which you do find in the European MBA classrooms, particularly at LBS, INSEAD, Said, Judge (I went to Judge and have friends at many others in Europe; my class was just over 100 people, 35 countries represented, no one nationality dominant, amazing perspective... vs most American schools are 70-ish% American.)

The GMAT is a big factor, and again there are a number of unknowns for me here... but overall I'd say HBS and GSB are definite reaches and not sure I'd focus on them, to be honest, unless you feel you'd regret not applying, but keep in mind that each application takes a lot of time and energy. The others still won't be easy with the GPA but with a strong application and explanation of why you need the MBA, you might be considered at most of the rest on the list. If you'd like to dig in deeper, we do offer free 30 minute consults, at http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php, at your convenience.

You're welcome to check back in here as well. Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php