If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Concered

Low GMAT score

by Concered Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:43 pm

Hello-

I would like some feedback regarding my GMAT score and potential as an applicant. I have been studying for the GMAT for several weeks now, but my score has not changed at all and continues to stay in the 400s. I admit I don't test well, and I have a history of not doing well on exams like the GMAT. However, I feel I'm a good potential applicant despite my GMAT score.

My undergraduate degree was in philosophy and my GPA was a 3.3. I also studied at Oxford for a year and performed even better there. I published a book review with a famous philosophy in Oxford. As far as outside activities, I was a competitive fencer with a national ranking, and I was invited to be the only female coach in a nationally ranked fencing program after I graduated college. I began coaching fencing and I continue to do so today after four years.

I currently hold a position as a sales analyst in a mid size software firm, but I'm interested in going into consulting and feel that an MBA is the right course of action. I have a strong interest in project work, solving problems, and working with diverse groups.

Like many people, I prefer to go to the most intellectually challenging school possible, but because of my GMAT score, I don't feel as thought I should even apply. I was considering Stanford and Berkeley.

Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Not a Consultant

by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:06 am

First off - the caveat: I am not an expert - nor a consultant.

My two cents is that given that you mention you have been studying for the "last few weeks" - you should put more time into your study. Also if you have not been good at standardized tests historically - perhaps you should consider investing in a formalized study session - like a ManhattanGMAT class - to get started.

The GMAT really is not rocket science, it just requires patience and a bit of elbow grease. Also, you should keep in mind that the GMAT says nothing about your intelligence, but a score of 400 submitted to a top school says a lot about your determination/hard work and reason.

The lowest score I've heard of at a top school was a 620 from a current HBS student - but this guy had a UNIQUE background and story to tell. Good luck with your studying - if you studied at Oxford and did well - you can do well (definitely above 400s) on the GMAT.