Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
Tulio1987
Forum Guests

Re: Looking for an Algebraic Solution

by Tulio1987 Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:10 am

Hi Ron,
How can we just divide by n in the end.. can you explain more on this? it is the same thing as assuming n=1 ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:50 am

Tulio1987 Wrote:Hi Ron,
How can we just divide by n in the end.. can you explain more on this? it is the same thing as assuming n=1 ?

consider the equation 2x = 10.
i assume you have no trouble with that one: you divide both sides by 2.

generalizing that idea, you can divide both sides of an equation by any number--as long as we know that this number isn't 0.

in this problem, it is absolutely certain that n is non-zero (this is guaranteed by the information provided about prices). so, we can divide by it, just as we'd divide by something like 2 or 3.
deem432
Course Students

by deem432 Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:28 pm

I tried to approach this problem by making a table with the information. It was clearly the wrong approach but I didn't figure that out until it was too late. I don't want to make this mistake in the future with a similar problem so can you explain to me why I was wrong? I keep trying to figure it out myself but then I get lost in the numbers.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:54 am

deem432 Wrote:I tried to approach this problem by making a table with the information. It was clearly the wrong approach but I didn't figure that out until it was too late. I don't want to make this mistake in the future with a similar problem so can you explain to me why I was wrong? I keep trying to figure it out myself but then I get lost in the numbers.

"making a table" of what?
i can't explain what's wrong with your approach if you don't tell me what your approach is!

there's certainly nothing wrong with making a table/chart, unless your table/chart is missing essential information of some kind.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:55 am

... by the way, the most efficient way to solve this problem is to backsolve (= work backward from the answer choices). you should give that a shot.