Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
PriyankaR833
Students

Like many of his contemporaries did, Bob Dylan wrote songs t

by PriyankaR833 Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:17 am

(Like many of his contemporaries did, Bob Dylan wrote songs) that became anthems for a generation of
antiwar activists.
• Like many of his contemporaries did, Bob Dylan wrote songs
• Bob Dylan wrote songs like many of his contemporaries
• As did many of his contemporaries, Bob Dylan wrote songs
• Like the songs of his contemporaries, Bob Dylan wrote songs
• As did many of Bob Dylan’s contemporaries, he wrote songs

Here my doubts are:
A- wrong usage of Like
B - 'Bob Dylan like many of his contemporaries wrote songs ' this would have corrected the error
C- In construction like this one a pronoun in the opening phrase/clause which doesn't have an antecedent before...how do we decipher the proper antecedent?(Hope you got my concern)
D-horrendous comparison
E- now here is a construction with 'HE',we are clear about its antecedent..its understood then why do we strike this out?

My issue is with C and E
And one more clarification needed,is it true that if we have an opening clause with a noun i.e. Stacy's car,and a following/latter/adjacent clause uses a pronoun 'she' ,will it be correct to address stacy later using a pronoun.(as stacy was in possessive form before)
eg. Stay's car met with an accident last summer;she will definitely get a new one in her birthday.
Stay's cat died last summer;her mom will definitely present her a new pet this new year?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Like many of his contemporaries did, Bob Dylan wrote songs t

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 pm

hi,
please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the rules of this forum before you post here. the forum rules are posted at the top of this folder.

in particular:

• we can't discuss problems of unknown provenance.
when you post a problem in this folder, you MUST cite the ORIGINAL SOURCE of the problem -- in other words, the company/person/entity that actually produced the problem and holds the copyright to it. (secondhand sources, such as other forums, are not acceptable.)

• all problems must be posted EXACTLY as originally provided -- including all answer choices -- and the correct answer must be specified.

this thread is now locked. if this problem is from a source that's allowed here, please re-post your question in accordance with the forum rules. thank you.