If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
TED_QB7

Life Decision Coming Up, Profile Eval Needed

by TED_QB7 Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 pm

First, let me explain my situation...

I am 20 year old Junior(C2C) Cadet at the US Air Force Academy. By the end of the month, I will be forced to put my career preferences in. Right now I am desperately struggling between becoming a pilot in the Air Force and going to business school. If I choose the pilot route, then I will be committed to the Air Force until I'm 35-36 years old with little opportunity to attend a MBA program full time. If I forgo the pilot opportunity, then the Air Force will allow me to go to school full time, pay a sizeable chunk of my tuition, and even pay me full time as an Officer. So, I would tremendously appreciate your assessment on my chances at getting into a top 10 school. THANKS!

My Profile:

- Will graduate with a Bachelor in Science in Management and a commission in the Air Force in May 2009 the Academy.
- 3.5 - 3.6 overall GPA with a 4.0 Major GPA (my major is BS in Management

- Recruited to play Quarterback for the Air Force Football team (just lost to California in our bowl game). However, my athletic career ended after a few knee injuries (tore different ligaments in both my freshman and sophomore seasons).

- After my athletic career came to an end, I applied and got accepted into the Academy's very selective Instructor Pilot program. I am became a TG-10B Instructor Pilot at 19 years old and will continue to teach fellow cadets how to fly until I graduate.

- I am the Wing Public Affairs noncommissioned officer (wing staff is the highest level of leadership a cadet can achieve). I have held and maintained many different leadership positions. I have led small teams of only 3-6 people as well as sizeable operations.

- I organized and ran a 3 week education program as the program's Group Superintendent. As the Group Supt I fulfilled all the logistical needs of 300-400 college students.

- I also will conduct management research for our Department of Management possibly at the United Nations, the Pentagon, the White House, or some Air Force Base around the world.

I recently took the GMAT right after my finals ended this last semester to help make my decision. I took several practice exams and received no lower than a 710. However, I earned only a 650 (41 Q, 38 V) on the real thing. I know the quant score is low, but my transcript might help balance this:

1. Calculus I - A
2. Calculus II - A
3. Physics I - B+
4. Physics II - A
5.Stats - A
6. Astro Eng - A
7. Accounting - A
8. Chemistry I/II - A
9. Aeronautical Eng - A

The Academy gives grades according to a normal distribution. The Academy offers a very rigorous curriculum with many classes outside those in a cadet's major. I will have also taken 4 semesters of German. I started off as a Computer Science major which I earned mostly B's in which is why my overall GPA (3.6) is low.

I would be ever grateful for any insight you might be able to offer me concerning my chances at a Top Tier B-School.

Thanks!
MBAApply

by MBAApply Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:47 pm

The more fundamental question is whether you want a military or civilian career, which is something only you can answer.

My guess is you probably know that that's what you need to really answer, but you're looking to see if b-school is a feasible "exit strategy" right after you graduate from the Academy. To be honest, I don't think it is. You seem to be a talented and accomplished person, but you'll be competing against folks who are much more experienced (and dare I say mature, at least to the adcom) than you.

In short, if you want to go to b-school, you will either need to find a civilian job right after college and work for a few years, or stay in the military and apply once your commitment ends (and yes, the military folks in b-school are older anyhow with most in their 30s, so don't let age be a deciding factor).

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
Tedqb7

by Tedqb7 Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Alex,

Thanks for the response. Your right about me having to choose my own career. However, I would be looking at attending B-school 2-3 years after working as a Acquisitions Officer in charge of multi-million dollar projects for the Department of Defense. At this time I would be 25-26 years old and free of my military commitment. Is experience the only thing I really lack? What i really would like to know is if a top B-school would be likely down the road in my career around the age of 26. Thanks! I appreciate all of your inputs!
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Yes, experience (military or civilian) is the only thing you lack at this point.

Focus on doing the best you can academically while in school, make the most of it.

So again, whether you choose the civilian or military route pre-MBA is a separate decision.

Good luck!

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com