Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
sywillis16

Lab 2 question 183

by sywillis16 Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:54 am

Is the answer for this question in Lab 2 incorrect. The instructer solves the first question of DS listing only positive numbers, but negative numbers can also work for this answer

he lists 2, 3, 4, 5 which are all greater than 1 when squared but what about -2 , -4, -4 they are also numbers that can alse be squared and give values greater that 1. If these are included the question IS and not a Yes.

Am I thinking of this incorrectly. I would go look this up in OG but i am away on business and wont be back for a little while.

Thanks

Selene
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:11 pm

Selene,

We would be glad to address your question, but could you please post the entire text of the problem? Many readers of the forums do not have access to these problems, and we definitley want to make the forums valuable not only for the poster but also for all future readers.

Many thanks!
-dan
Selene

Re: Lab 2 question 183

by Selene Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:48 pm

is X squared greater than X?

1) X squared is greater than 1
2) X is greater than -1

thanks Dan I will post the Q from now on.

[quote="sywillis16@YAHOO.COM"]Is the answer for this question in Lab 2 incorrect. The instructer solves the first question of DS listing only positive numbers, but negative numbers can also work for this answer

he lists 2, 3, 4, 5 which are all greater than 1 when squared but what about -2 , -4, -4 they are also numbers that can alse be squared and give values greater that 1. If these are included the question IS and not a Yes.

Am I thinking of this incorrectly. I would go look this up in OG but i am away on business and wont be back for a little while.

Thanks

Selene[/quote]
shaji

Re: Lab 2 question 183

by shaji Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:35 am

The correct answer is C; since taking both ststements enables you to be ceratin that X>1 and finally a definite Yes to the question.

Selene Wrote:is X squared greater than X?

2) X is greater than -1

thanks Dan I will post the Q from now on.

sywillis16@YAHOO.COM Wrote:Is the answer for this question in Lab 2 incorrect. The instructer solves the first question of DS listing only positive numbers, but negative numbers can also work for this answer

Thanks

Selene
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:42 pm

You indirectly alluded to the fact that this is an OG question - please make sure to make that explicit, as we have to give proper copyright credit to the authors. This is OG Q DS 78.

is X squared greater than X?

2) X is greater than -1

(1) x^2 > 1.
- If we try x = 2, this satisfies statement 1, so x=2 is a valid number to try. Then, we plug x=2 into the question and, yes, x^2 is greater than x.
- Next, try x = -2. This satisfies statement 1, so x=-2 is a valid number to try. Then, we plug x=-2 into the question and, yes, x^2 is still greater than x.

You are correct that we can try negative numbers here, but they do not change the outcome of the problem - when we square x in the question, it always becomes positive.

- Next, try x=0. Can't try this because it doesn't satisfy statement 1. How about x = 1/2? Nope, doesn't satisfy statement 1. If you keep going with this, you'll see you can only numbers greater than 1 or less than -1 satisfy statement 1, so those are the only valid numbers to try here. If we're limited to those numbers, then x^2 will always be greater than x, in which case, statement 1 is sufficient.

(2) X is greater than -1
- If we try x = 2, this satisfies statement 2, so x=2 is a valid number to try. Then, we plug x=2 into the question and, yes, x^2 is greater than x.
- If we try x = 0, this satisfies statement 2, so x=0 is a valid number to try. Then, we plug x=0 into the question and, no, x^2 is not greater than x.
Two contradictory answers (yes and no) means this statement is insufficient.

Answer is A.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep