The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
Luci

Just did it

by Luci Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:55 pm

I just did it and got 690 (90%) Q49 (89%) V34(70%)

I am happy with the result although I was aiming for a 700 plus. I knew I was going to perform worse in verbal for sure. What it pissed me off is that I think I was doing great in verbal when in the middle of my verbal exam not in the examination classrom but above a leak started to freak me out. I was running out of time in my exam because as I was doing pretty good (I think) and the questions were hard and the drop was going toc, toc, toc killing my nervs (the corks dont work, belive me).... I raised my hand to see if the lady could do something, but she couldnt and moreover I lost a precious time with her... Then I started to get even more nervous with the extra lost of time. So I think I performed quite bad in the last part of my verbal exam. I couldn´t even read the last test and try tu surf trough it looking at what the question was demanding. That affected my las 15 questions or so... Without that I think I could have get a 36-37 or so in verbal that would have bolster my note up to 710-720.

At the end, tha lady appologized but she said since it was not inside the examination classrom she couldnt do anything.

Anyway, that is what I got. I would like to ask the experts what do they think. I have hear that big differences between quant and verbal are not good for the applications. 34 in verbal means a 70% so I dont know... I want to apply to some of the top ten BS like Wharton or Harvard, but also to some other worse ones...

I hope this score wont undermine my opportunities of getting in one of those top ten BS (specially because that difference between quant and verbal). What do you think?. Obviously it is not such a great note so I need specially good applications, I know- I´ll work hard on them now.

I want to thank all the MGMAT team. I think your are great and as I said somewhere before it is clearly the best site to prepare the GMAT. I wouldnt do it without your great help.

Now I will start to check the your sections about applications and everything.

Thanks a lot

Luci
GMAT 2007

by GMAT 2007 Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:50 am

Congratulations Luci. I know you worked very hard lately. Good luck for the applications part.

Also - Would you like to shed some light on the difficulty level of the questions on the actual GMAT as compared to GMAT prep and MGMAT practice tests? Were you scoring in the same range in MGMAT practice tests too?

Thanks
GMAT 2007
Luic

by Luic Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi GMAT 2007,

I think the actual GMAT exam is pretty similar to the GMATPREP ones, and clearly much easier than MGMAT ones (specially for the quant section. But MGMAT is great for practising and learning). I know for what I´ve seen in the math forum that you are going to perform really well in quant section GMAT2007 so dont be too worry about it.

I´m from Spain so verbal section was harder for me although as I said I think I was doing pretty good till mid part of the section, but going too slow.

I cant remember my exact GMATPREP results, but I think they were more or less what I got in the real exam. In MGMAT my scores varied from 630 to 720.

I was aiming to get 700-710 and I didnt make it (and think I could have done it :-(, shit happens), although I´m still happy.

The great difference between GMAT and MGMAT is that real GMAT gives you brakes. Suddently when you think you are performing quite well a really easy question apears and freaks you a little. For example I got something like:

[TEXT DELETED. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPRODUCE ANY 'LIVE' TEST QUESTIONS FROM ACTUAL GMAT ADMINISTRATIONS. THIS IS ILLEGAL.] Maybe it is one of those questions that doesnt count in your result or maybe I was doing quite bad until then and afterwards I got all the rest of the questions right...

That never happens in MGMAT exams, in which if you are performing well, you know it for sure because the level of the questions is high, while in the real exam, sometimes you are lost whether you are performing well or not.

Anyway, practice your verbal as much as you could and good luck. I´m pretty sure that if you can control your nerves you´ll get a great result.

Luci

Sorry, I know this is not the correct place to post this, but does anyone knows where to get TOEFL IBT tests to practice? I want to apply first round and need to do the TOEFL... Runnig out of time already (lucky you americans ;-p). I know they give you a free practice when register, but since they have changed the format of the test since it is internet-based I´m a littel bit lost.
GMAT 2007

by GMAT 2007 Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Luci. Speed in RC is bothering me, it kills my performance in verbal as compared to quant.

Thanks again
GMAT 2007