The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
greystealth
Course Students

It's not how we fall...

by greystealth Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:56 pm

I started studying for the GMAT during the last semester of my senior year in college, Fall 2010. I signed up for a course with MGMAT, studied for a month before deciding that I wanted to focus on my classes instead.

I decided to postpone the GMAT till six months after graduation. During those six months, I finished the 9-week MGMAT course, the strategy guides, the three OG books, and Powerscore's CR bible.

MGMAT1-pre-test (with AWA): 460
MGMAT2 (with AWA): 530
MGMAT3 (with AWA): 540
MGMAT4: 490
GMATprep: 420

Real GMAT: 490

After six months, and about $1,500 spend on a 9-week MGMAT course, energy drinks, the GMAT test. Not to mention all the stress and time I put in, I only scored 30 points better than BEFORE even studying. Yeah, it's a bit embarrassing.

This setback / fall will by no means prevent me from reaching my goals. I am planning on hiring a tutor for $50-100 from a third party tutoring site, bc I can't afford the $175 rate with MGMAT (for course students). I'm also considering on getting a few Algebra and Geometry textbooks for extra practice.

I'd like to hit a 600 with 10-20 hours of tutoring, and I'd like to hit a 700+ with 30-40 hours of tutoring. Do these numbers sound reasonable?

I'm a smart guy and a hard worker, and feel that I didn't do enough practice problems/work on my weaknesses.