Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
mucool
Students

Issue essay: Must we support ONE side?

by mucool Wed May 20, 2009 11:41 pm

For the issue analysis - do we have to support ONE side of the argument? For e.g., "traditional question-and-answer interviewing technique should be replaced by observing candidates performing job tasks" ... or any other issue topic for that matter.

In most cases, I end up saying that each side of the issue (i.e. Q&A or job task observation) are ok depending on the situation and then I give examples where I think one approach is more appropriate than another example.

What I'm concerned about is that the e-rater may take that as being indecisive or a weak essay. Is it necessary to absoloutely pick one side of the issue in your conclusion?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Issue essay: Must we support ONE side?

by StaceyKoprince Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Technically, it is not absolutely required to pick one side. If you're one of my students, it IS required. :)

You have 30 minutes to write an answer on a topic that is ALWAYS going to have multiple reasonable sides. You have to support your thesis with specific, relevant examples. You just don't have much time, basically, to make your case. Instead of making your task harder, make it easier. Pick one side, come up with two good examples to support that side, and leave it at that. Do acknowledge that the other side is reasonable, but the tone should be more along the lines of "although there are certainly times when the traditional question-and-answer approach is valuable, observation generally provides a broader assessment of the candidate's strengths and weaknesses blah blah blah." So you never say that the other side isn't true or is wrong - just that the side that you're picking is right more of the time. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep