The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
sgyoung12345
Forum Guests

Is this score good enough? Or should I retake?

by sgyoung12345 Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 am

Just got my results from my first try...710 (Q49, V38)

Quant was 84% and Verbal was 83%

I'm still a few years away from applying (college senior), but I wanted to ask if this score is good enough to get into a program such as HBS or Stanford. I read that the medians at both these schools are 730, and so I was concerned since this is a bit below. I'm also an Asian male going into a BB investment bank (undergrad at an Ivy League) so I figured this would be more of a negative than a plus due to my "traditional" background?

Most likely I will give it another shot, but I wanted to get some thoughts on whether getting let's say, anywhere from a 730-750 will make me more competitive than the current score.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Is this score good enough? Or should I retake?

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:32 am

sgyoung12345 Wrote:I'm still a few years away from applying (college senior), but I wanted to ask if this score is good enough to get into a program such as HBS or Stanford.

this isn't really a meaningful question, because the gmat is only one component of admissions (and not even the most important one, at that), especially at schools like those.

your application is the sum total of everything you put into it.
there have been "traditional background" bankers (i've personally known a couple) who have gotten into harvard/stanford/etc with GMAT scores below 600. but those guys had done truly exceptional things at their banks (playing key roles in major deals at an unusually young age, etc.)
and then there are the people with 750+ scores who get rejected, because that's all they have is just scores, numbers, and academic credentials. if that's all a candidate has in his or her favor, then even an 800 won't be good enough (and may even work against the candidate, if the contrast puts an especially harsh highlight on the candidate's shortcomings in other, more important areas).
sgyoung12345
Forum Guests

by sgyoung12345 Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Ron!

I definitely understand where you are coming from with regards to the application process being a comprehensive one. So I guess to make my question a bit more meaningful...

If a candidate is well-rounded in terms of academics, undergraduate education, work experience, recommendations, etc. (you name it), but has a 710, can this GMAT score be the decision maker for HBS/Stanford type programs?

I guess another way to phrase it is if two applicants are down to the wire (which is probably unlikely given different essay topics, recommendations, etc.) BUT in such a case, I'd assume that if applicant A as a 750 and B has a 730 the GMAT wouldn't be the tie-breaker. But would a 750 vs. 710 be significant enough?

Apologies if I'm being picky about receiving an answer; I just want to see how my score stands for these top programs and determine whether taking another crack at the GMAT will be beneficial.

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:39 am

hi,
try this question in the "ask an admissions consultant" folder (elsewhere on this forum). that folder is manned by people who answer these kinds of questions for a living.

good luck.
IdG98
Forum Guests

by IdG98 Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello,

I saw your post regarding applying for bschool as a senior from 2013 and was wondering what your current status is. I am in a similar position you were--deciding whether to apply as a college senior to top ranked business schools.

Thank you so much for your response.

Best regards,
Iddo