If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
karamil264
Prospective Students

Is it okay to do internship under tv production?

by karamil264 Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 am

I am a software engineering student and recently I get an offer to do internship at Sony. Based on the confirmation letter that they send to me, they will put me under TV BIZ GROUP, division= tv production and department= tv material control. Is it okay for me as a software engineering student to do internship at that department? I am afraid it doesnt match with internship scope. But as I can remember, during they call me asking for confirmation they did tell me that I will involve and assist the software engineer in development phase. And also I might need to write a technical report. I just afraid of the title tv production didnt match with software engineering and doesnt involve coding, programming. I hope to hear something that can make my heart at peace, thank you in advance.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Is it okay to do internship under tv production?

by mbaMissionKate Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi there! First, congrats on your internship offer! So I'm not sure if you have other options that you are comparing it to? But generally I'd say yes, it's definitely OK from a business school admissions perspective. First, Sony's a big global brand so it will be a great name on your resume. Second, having experience in TV production could actually be quite unique, differentiating from other software engineers that choose a more traditional path, and it may expose you to a field that you really like!

I would still make sure that a) your skills in software engineering are going to be put to good use and b) there will be opportunities for you to develop and expand your skills during the internship. In other words, make sure that you have something to offer them but also that you will gain something from the internship too. And what you gain doesn't necessarily have to be technical skills (since you are getting this already through your degree) - it could be things like opportunities to manage a project or work in teams or make a presentation.

One last thing to note is that when it comes time to apply for business school (and good for you for thinking so far ahead :) ), schools will care much more about your post-university full-time work experience. So an internship is a great way to try something out! And if you do well and Sony likes you, it's always possible they could place you in a different division for a full-time role later on (if TV production turns out to not be something you like).

Hope this helps to put your "heart at peace" (I like that phrase!) and let us know if we can help with anything else!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
karamil264
Prospective Students

by karamil264 Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. Your reply really helps me a lot. And yes, it make my heart at peace :lol: Thank you!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:53 pm

Ok good :) Best of luck to you!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
KakakkdeK400
Prospective Students

by KakakkdeK400 Mon May 25, 2015 10:45 am

Thank you for posting this information!)
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue May 26, 2015 12:21 pm

You're welcome! :)
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com