Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
KhinS495
Course Students

IR: Amino Acid

by KhinS495 Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:22 am

Hi experts,

I do not quite understand question 1 explanation. Could you help clarify?

My understanding is since there are 9 zero which is less than 11 rest of numbers under Potential H-bonds category. Therefore is yes. Not sure is this understanding correct?

https://www.manhattanprep.com/atlas/resource/68?currentTask=4301%2F4327%2F4331%2F7156
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: IR: Amino Acid

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:51 pm

Hi, welcome to the forums! When you have a chance, please take a look at the forum guidelines—it is necessary to post the text of the question that you're asking about. I can't actually see which problem you're talking about, as the link generated won't work to jump across the firewall.

The question will also need to be posted in the correct folder—for example, from your subject line, it looks like this is an Integrated Reasoning problem. If so, it needs to go in the relevant IR folder (depending on whether it is from our CAT exams or from one of our non-CAT problem sets).

One note: This folder that we're in right now is for overall strategy / study planning questions and this folder is free to everyone—anyone can post and get an answer from an instructor. The other, content-based folders are read-only for the general public. If you are in one of our programs or are using our All the GMAT bookset or Self-Study Toolkit, then you have full access to the other areas and can also post in those folders to ask questions.

If you don't have full access to the forums, you can try searching for the problem text to see whether someone else has already asked about the same problem (though I just did a search for "amino acid" and didn't see a relevant IR post besides your own post, unfortunately).

If you think you may have found an error in one of our problems, please send an email tomake_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_EMAIL, ' ', 'gmat@manhattanprep.com', '', '') with a screenshot of the problem and a description of what you think the error is. We'll investigate and let you know what we find. (It's ok to send an email even if you're not sure whether it's an error or whether you might just have made a mistake. Even if it turns out that you made a mistake, we'd rather have you let us know, just to be sure!)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
KhinS495
Course Students

by KhinS495 Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:36 am

Thanks Stacey for your reply as I was pointed to post it here when I send this question in email query.
My question is why I'm not able to see the "post a new post button" anywhere in IR/Verbal/Quant but only in this General Strategy section only though I'm an enrolled students? Not sure have I missed something?
Second, it seems I'm not able to post pictures by using picture tag and also it seems I am not able to copy questions texts from Atlast?
Finally, not sure why I'm not able to find almost all questions of Mahantan questions (from question banks) in the forum here?

Thanks for your time and looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Khin
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:06 pm

Hi, Khin, if you're an enrolled student, then yes, you should be able to post in the other parts of the forum. Can you please send an email tomake_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_EMAIL, ' ', 'techsupport@manhattanprep.com', '', '') (I don't want you to put your account info here on the public forums) to tell them what's going on and ask them to fix it? You can tell them that we talked on the forums and that I said to tell them to ask me about it. (And I'm sorry for the tech glitch!)

If you are mostly searching for IR problems, it's likely the case that not many of them have been posted because the IR section of the classic GMAT is not as important a factor in admissions...so most people don't study it as much. (That will change with the new GMAT Focus launching later this year.)

Next, we have disabled the ability to post screenshots, yes, because unfortunately we get a lot of people posting content that is not from our own materials—and then we're breaking copyright law by hosting screenshots of content that isn't ours. So that is annoying, but we have to do it that way.

You don't need to post the table or any associated images for a problem, just the problem text itself. I'm looking at the amino acids problem in Chrome right now and I am able to highlight the text, copy it, and paste it in here. If you're using a different browser, try Chrome (check that it is updated).

Finally, I don't want to make you wait longer for an answer, so I'll give you an answer to the Amino Acids problem here. :)

Statement (1) says: An amino acid that can form H-bonds is more likely to be able to form ionic bonds than is an amino acid that cannot form H-bonds.

Let's start with just the first part: An amino acid that can form H-bonds. So the first task is to figure out how many amino acids actually can form H-bonds. The easiest way to find that number is to sort by the column Potential H-bonds and count everything that isn't 0. There are a total of 11 amino acids that can form H-bonds.

Next the question asks whether those 11 amino acids are more likely than the rest of the amino acids to form a different type of bond, ionic bonds.

Of the 11 amino acids that can form H-bonds, 5 of them can also form ionic bonds. So 5 out of 11 can form ionic bonds.
Of the remaining 9 amino acids that CANNOT form H-bonds, 0 of them can form ionic bonds. So 0 out of 9 can form ionic bonds.

The amino acids in the first group are more likely to be able to form ionic bonds than the ones in the second group. Therefore, the answer to this statement is Yes.

What would need to change for the answer to change to No? For example, if it had been the case that, in the second group of 9 amino acids, 6 of them could also form ionic bonds, then the answer would have been No, because in this scenario, the second group of amino acids would have been more likely to be able to form ionic bonds (6 out of 9 in the second group vs. 5 out of 11 in the first group).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
KhinS495
Course Students

by KhinS495 Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:22 pm

Thanks Stacey for your reply and explanation. It helps.
My main concerns are more for Quant and Verbal but I'm not able to post any new question nor can I find any question in the forum as it seems the searn not return any matching result 99% of the time unfortunately.
I have emailed tech team but they are still not able to resolve yet as of now.

Regars,
Khin
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:20 pm

Hi, yes, I'm sorry about the tech issues. They are troubleshooting now, but it's not an easy fix, unfortunately. I'm hoping that they will be able to figure it out and fix it next week. I'll let you know when I hear any news.

p.s. Edited to add: The search bar won't pick up formatting or special symbols, so you can't search for things like equations or other math-y things. So "pure math" problems can be hard to find, unfortunately. For the rest, try to post just a couple of words from the problem, because someone may not type in the problem exactly the way it was written in the original. Look for the words that are the most unusual / identifying and use those to search.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep