Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
SaahilR545
Students

Investment Advisor: It is well-known that investing in mutua

by SaahilR545 Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Investment Advisor: It is well-known that investing in mutual funds reduces portfolio risk through diversification. It is also true that past investment performance is often related to future investment prospects. Therefore, to help my clients earn high returns with low risk, I select a group of mutual funds that meet the client’s objectives and then invest the client’s assets in the fund that has delivered the highest returns in this group over the past 2 years.

Which of the following statements, if true, would demonstrate a serious flaw in the approach of the Investment Advisor?
1. Managers of many mutual funds that have delivered the highest returns over the past several years have already used up their best investment ideas and are unlikely to sustain this level of performance in the future.
2. Mutual funds span a wide spectrum of investment styles and performance objectives and no single fund is suitable for every investor.
3. Many individual investors choose to manage their own portfolios rather than consult an investment advisor.
4. The funds that have had the strongest past performance tend to continue to outperform other funds with similar objectives for many years in the future.
5. The number of clients served by the investment advisor has declined by nearly 50% over the past 5 years.

Hello

The OA for this question is A and I am not able to convince myself here.

I've the following concerns with this option:
1. What managers of other mutual funds have done does not concern the particular manager in question. Since this is a flaw based question, the reasoning should come from the stimulus itself and hence what other managers are doing might not concern our manager in question
2. The option talks about many managers being out of ideas - Here "many" might include out manager in question or may not include him. Generalizing on this and concluding a flaw based on this rationale seems weird to me (Many can mean anything b/w 0%<x<=100%)

In my opinion, I can still reason with option B as the stimulus says that the manager will only invest in a single fund out of the chosen ones. He might then not be able to choose the best range of funds in the first place and hence investing in the one fund he decides might not be the best bet

Looking forward to hearing from the experts. GMAT planned on the 7th :D
raghavG600
Students

Re: Investment Advisor: It is well-known that investing in mutua

by raghavG600 Tue May 01, 2018 7:05 am

what i have problem with option A is that it contains the word 'many'. How can we be sure whether the advisor in discussion belongs to the 'many' ? Pl help
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Investment Advisor: It is well-known that investing in mutua

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun May 06, 2018 6:25 am

How can we be sure whether the adviser in discussion belongs to the 'many' ?

I think you may have misread the problem. The plan is being proposed by an 'Investment Adviser' who's considering placing her clients' money in mutual funds. The 'managers of many mutual funds' refers to the people to whom the adviser will entrust her clients' money. Sure, answer choice A doesn't destroy the plan. Perhaps some of the mutual funds will continue to perform well. However, it certainly weakens the plan.