Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
wathfa
Forum Guests

intl student needs to be graded plz!

by wathfa Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey all,

I'm a Saudi student, and still learning English in Seattle. My Gmati test is next Wed and I really need your help to Improve my writing essay. Really APPRECIATED!

The following advice was given to a politician by his political consultant: "It is true that 200 apartment renters protested in the rain about the elimination of rent control regulation. However, there are 20,000 renters in the entire city. 19,800 of them stayed home and did not protest. The group that did not protest is much larger and better represents the opinion of renters throughout the city that the elimination of rent control is not a problem. You should not let the small protest discourage you."

Describe how well reasoned you find this argument. In the discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the argument's conclusion. You may also address possible changes in the argument that would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

The consultant argues that since there was just 200 renters protested against the elimination of rent control, therefore, it is not a big issue that could affect the politician. The argument relies on several; unsupported assumption. Thus, it fails to be persuasive.

First, the argument mentions the 19,800 renters, who didn't went out to protest, are agree with the regulation of the rent control, but they might be agree with the 200 renters without joining them under the rain due to several reasons, such as illness or transportation issues.

Second, the advice does not specify what the protests' demands. They may have reasonable needs that could help the society. Also, these people may have more power in the community even if they were a small group than the rest of renters.

To make this argument persuasive, the consultant should address the status of the protests and not assume that the 19.800 are agree with this policy just because they were not with the 200 people. Without such changes, the conclusion of this argument remains unconvincing.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: intl student needs to be graded plz!

by StaceyKoprince Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi, thanks for posting your essays! Just an FYI that instructors don't grade or give feedback on essays (see the forum guidelines for details).

But I certainly hope other community members respond. Also, if you're in our class, you'll have an opportunity to get essays graded and get written feedback during the course (after class 6). Finally, you can get essays graded by GMAT Write (the official essay grading service from the makers of the exam) - they'll both grade the essays and provide feedback as to how to improve (for a fee). For details and pricing, go to www.mba.com and search for GMAT Write.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep