Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

inequality problem from May 27, 2010 study hall

by MdAbuAsad Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Source:
Thursdays with Ron on May 27, 2010 study hall
https://vimeo.com/12233170
when the tutorial's time is running on 01:32:45 hour...

Is m+z>0
(1) m-3z>0
(2) 4z-m>0

5*1st statement-----> 5m-15z>0
4*2nd statement----> 16z-4m>0
………………………………………………..
Add up-------> m+z>0
So, sufficient!
:)

Ron, is it ‘C’ trap question? I mean the correct answer is NOT “C”?? also, I didn't understand WHY the quick stunt is discussed there. Could you help me by giving your explanation (about the relation between the topic and the quick stunt), please?
Thanks...
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
tim
Course Students

Re: inequality problem from May 27, 2010 study hall

by tim Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Something is only a C trap if you look at the two statements and immediately KNOW that combining them will give you a unique answer to the question at the top. You did not have that realization (or else you wouldn't have asked about the trick in this post), so this is NOT a C trap for you.

As for the last part of your post, the simple answer to your "why?" question is because it works. I suspect that's not the question you intended to ask, so if you ask the question you really meant to ask we'll be happy to help you further.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:15 am

I Myself Wrote:Ron, is it ‘C’ trap question?

the answer is C, so, clearly it's not a C-trap.

I didn't understand WHY the quick stunt is discussed there.

only for fun.
obviously, you will never HAVE to randomly multiply things by 4 and 5 for no apparent reason. (there will NEVER be any "lightbulb moment" problems on this exam; you should not need "random" or "divinely inspired" steps to solve the problems.)
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:56 pm

tim Wrote:Something is only a C trap if you look at the two statements and immediately KNOW that combining them will give you a unique answer to the question at the top.

Is (x-2) (x-3)>0?
1) x-2>0
2) x-3<0

after, combing the two statements i can immediately know the unique answer to the question at the top. so, this one is "C trap" question, right tim? :) :) :?
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:45 am

where is this problem even coming from? did you just make it up?
(with the x-2 and x-3 terms in it)

the official exam would not present you with such a problem.

__

do note, by the way, that "x – 2 < 0" would be sufficient alone.

also, "x – 3 > 0" would be sufficient alone.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:12 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:where is this problem even coming from? did you just make it up?
(with the x-2 and x-3 terms in it).

Ron, i just make creativity this question from the below link:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 32914.html

the official exam would not present you with such a problem.

Ron, i've a curiosity to know WHY official exam would not present this sorta problem? i've maintained all the things, which you told in the following link.

Ron, you said in the following link (in your last comment) that ''you will always NEED at least one of the statements.''.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 32936.html
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:04 pm

I'd be curious to hear from Ron why the GMAT wouldn't give a problem like this. As far as it being a C-trap, please note that Ron and I have used different implicit definitions in our posts. Ultimately it doesn't matter, because whatever term you use you need to know what to watch out for. In this case, once you realize that combining the two statements will give a unique answer to the question, you immediately know that E is not the answer, but you NEED TO BE CAUTIOUS. In other words, you need to carefully evaluate whether either statement alone is sufficient rather than just blindly choosing C.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:46 am

i'm talking about this problem, which comes from God-only-knows what source:
Is (x-2) (x-3)>0?
1) x-2>0
2) x-3<0

this problem would never appear on the exam because it works exactly like this:
Is xy > 0?
1) x > 0
2) y < 0

note:

a/
it's way too easy.
(this isn't a matter of opinion. if you compare this problem to the FIRST 10-20 problems in the official guide, you'll notice that this one is still way, way easier than all of those.)

b/
this problem doesn't depend in any way on anything about the actual content chosen.
literally, if we get rid of (x – 2) and (x – 3) and replace them with "x" and "y", it makes no difference.

c/
someone who isn't paying any attention to the goal of the problem is very likely to still get this one correct. ("oh hey, there's an (x – 2), and there's an (x – 3), i guess i probably need them both.")
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:47 am

by contrast, consider the following 2 versions of the problem:

Is (x – 2) (x – 3) > 0?
1) x – 2 < 0
2) x – 3 < 0
(answer = A)

or

Is (x – 2) (x – 3) > 0?
1) x – 2 > 0
2) x – 3 > 0
(answer = B)

either of THESE two versions COULD absolutely be an official problem. notice the difference -- and notice that NONE of the 3 complaints above applies to either of them.

a/ these aren't as easy as the first one, and they aren't as easy as the first bunch of problems in the book, either.

b/ the answers to these problems depend VERY specifically on the (x – 2), the (x – 3), and the directions of the inequalities in the statements. if we just put "x" and "y" in place of (x – 2) and (x – 3), the problems don't work anymore.

c/ to get these problems correct, you need a keen sense of THE GOAL. unless you know EXACTLY what you are trying to do in these versions, you'll get them wrong.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:26 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight, Ron!
Tim Sanders

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:15 am

tim Wrote:Very interesting. Thanks for the insight, Ron!

sure.