Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
tim
Course Students

Re: individuals who have been blind from birth

by tim Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 pm

the entire sentence after "that" is in fact a clause, so there's no problem here. the GMAT won't test you on whether to put a comma after "that", so no need to worry about that. the comma that is there is because "when speaking" is an introductory modifier to "individuals"..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
gmat9999
Course Students

by gmat9999 Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:38 pm

I have question about the clause that modifies the blind person:
"thus have never seen anyone gesture".

Should the gesture be gestured or gesturing?

I saw an earlier post on this question but not so satisfied with the example posted.

I saw John run to the class.

Here run is past participle to modify John. It is no doubt.

However gesture, the past participle should be gestured....
Why does the "gesture" which modifies the singular pronoun stay as it is without any ing or ed?
davetzulin
Forum Guests

by davetzulin Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:56 pm

tim Wrote:the entire sentence after "that" is in fact a clause, so there's no problem here. the GMAT won't test you on whether to put a comma after "that", so no need to worry about that. the comma that is there is because "when speaking" is an introductory modifier to "individuals"..

thanks Tim. that makes sense. Am i correct about why this could be wrong?

"Research has shown that, when speaking, individuals..."

when speaking could modify "has shown"... as a subject/verb modifier.. but who is speaking? there are no researchers mentioned. ends up as kind of nonsense either way.

"Research has shown that when speaking, individuals..."

"when speaking" should modify the verb performed by individuals.. this happens to be "make hand gestures"
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:22 pm

I have question about the clause that modifies the blind person:
"thus have never seen anyone gesture".

Should the gesture be gestured or gesturing?

first --
OFFICIALLY CORRECT ANSWERS ARE CORRECT!
do not question officially correct answers!

far too many students on this forum make the mistake of questioning the correct answers; to do so is to waste your time and effort.

"is this correct?" is never a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always yes.
"is this wrong?" / "is this X type of error?" is never a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always no.

instead, the questions you should be asking about correct official answers, if you don't understand them, are:
"why is this correct?"
"how does this work?"
"what understanding am i lacking that i need to understand this choice?"

this is a small, but hugely significant, change to your way of thinking.
you will find it much easier to understand the format, style, and conventions of the official problems if you retire the idea that they might be wrong.

I saw John run to the class.

Here run is past participle to modify John. It is no doubt.

despite your apparent confidence that there is "no doubt" here, this is incorrect. that is not a past participle; it's basically an infinitive form, without "to" in front.
other examples:
i helped my wife wash the dishes
caffeine can help you be aware of your surroundings if you are sleepy
try substituting past participles ("washed" and "been") for these two boldfaced words; you will notice that the result is absurd.
neelabhthakur
Forum Guests

by neelabhthakur Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:05 am

I have read that when a "comma+and" follows a complete clause (as is the case here, there should be another complete clause after the "and." But it doesn't seem to be the case here as after the "comma+and" the clause that follows is not a complete clause.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks

pS: By "complete clause" I mean a clause that can stand on its own. I don't know the formal term for it (i think its called Insubordinate clause)
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:03 am

Where did you read that "rule"? There is no rule that says a comma-and after an independent clause must be followed by another independent clause. Sure, that’s ONE thing that can happen, but it’s not mandatory:

I like eating peanut butter, which tastes great, and jelly.

Notice that in some cases the comma in front of the "and" can just be a relic of an earlier phrase that is set off by commas.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:38 am

I try to focus on meaning and can go to the A choice

However, I want to know about grammar rule a little bit.

such noun as+ clause

is only correct pattern or not

do we have any other pattern using "such+noun+as"

I search the grammar books but find nothing of this point. any one know , pls share.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:05 pm

PLEASE do NOT search "grammar books" for information about grammar rules on SC! This may explain why I have seen you make so many erroneous claims on this forum about "rules" that are not really rules! Remember, the GMAT has its own set of grammar rules that may or may not match up with what you read in some random grammar book, and if you rely on grammar sources that are not GMAT-specific, you may be actively HARMING yourself!
Tim Sanders

bruno.shinjo
Forum Guests

by bruno.shinjo Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Is "in the same way that" a bad idiom?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:10 pm

In general, "same" is paired with "as", not "that". So, yeah, I'd be suspicious of that one.
neacholas
Forum Guests

by neacholas Sat May 10, 2014 4:08 am

Hi Instructors,

I have a question for Option A.
If "that" is deleted from ",and that", Option A will still be the right answer because
Research has shown that (A), and that (B).
Research has shown that (A, and B).
are both acceptable.

Could you clarify whether my understanding is correct?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 12, 2014 12:59 pm

neacholas Wrote:Hi Instructors,

If "that" is deleted from ",and that", Option A will still be the right answer because
are both acceptable.

Remember"”Don't edit GMAC's sentences. Really, don't.

The GMAT only tests 1-2% of the things that can actually go wrong with English sentences. If random users try to edit these sentences, the result is almost always something that's incorrect"”for reasons that the GMAT doesn't test.

Making your own examples is good"”but they should be your own examples. When you make up example sentences, they should be SIMPLE sentences, meant to illustrate only one construction or concept at a time.

As for GMAC's problems are concerned, your hands should be full enough with the answer choices that are provided!

--

In any case"”
Nope.
In the construction "Research has shown that A, and B", the two parallel statements are...
* Research has shown that A;
* B.
The comma precludes the interpretation "A and B".

GMAC doesn't test punctuation, though, so this is a non-issue.
Don't edit the sentences.
neacholas
Forum Guests

by neacholas Fri May 16, 2014 5:49 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
neacholas Wrote:Hi Instructors,

are both acceptable.

Remember"”Don't edit GMAC's sentences. Really, don't.

The GMAT only tests 1-2% of the things that can actually go wrong with English sentences. If random users try to edit these sentences, the result is almost always something that's incorrect"”for reasons that the GMAT doesn't test.

Making your own examples is good"”but they should be your own examples. When you make up example sentences, they should be SIMPLE sentences, meant to illustrate only one construction or concept at a time.

As for GMAC's problems are concerned, your hands should be full enough with the answer choices that are provided!

--

In any case"”
Nope.
In the construction "Research has shown that A, and B", the two parallel statements are...
* Research has shown that A;
* B.
The comma precludes the interpretation "A and B".

GMAC doesn't test punctuation, though, so this is a non-issue.
Don't edit the sentences.

Hi Ron, thank you so much for the clear explanation.
And I'll keep your advice in mind.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 8:17 am

You're welcome.
AbhilashM94
Students

Re:

by AbhilashM94 Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:53 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Complicated structure.

Research has shown that L (when speaking...people do), and that M (they will gesture...).

Within "that L" there's another structure. "individuals who N (have been blind) and P (have never seen) nonetheless make hand motions Q (just as frequently) and R (in the same... people do)"

So you've got three pairs of "and" phrases or clauses, in which each part of the pair should be parallel.

So, L and M = pair #1, N and P = pair #2, Q and R = pair #3.

They're all correctly parallel in choice A.
B breaks parallelism for L and M (no "that" before M), as well as breaking some other rules
C breaks parallelism for L and M (no "that" before M), as well as breaking some other rules
D breaks parallelism for N and P (individuals who N and "they" P - I shouldn't repeat the subject here b/c "individuals" is outside of the parallel part of the sentence)
E same as D and B/C

Other rules are broken as well in the wrong ones, but you can use this one rule, parallelism, to deal with all 4 wrong choices.

best explanation ever! I was looking for this for over an hour