Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: In the past several years, astronomers

by RonPurewal Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:42 am

...and thank you for actually reading through the thread!
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:36 am

Dear instructors,

Can D and E also be eliminated because mostly(adverb) is trying to modify massive planets(noun).
Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:09 am

well, technically, "mostly" could modify the stuff after it ("as large as xxxx").

...but then you get a nonsense sentence, because "as large as xxxx" is something that, in any particular case, is either true or false. it's not something that can be 'mostly' true.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:38 am

from choice C, we learn a pattern in formal english language.
a noun can be modified by two phrases which are not connected with each other by "and". sound knowledge of pattern and gramar is nessessary on SC.
Crisc419
Students

Re:

by Crisc419 Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:45 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
Are' Wrote:Any how, why this sentence use "most of them" rather than "most of which are at leasta s large as Jupiter, circling "

Thanks

if you use that version, then you're introducing a certain amount of ambiguity into the attribution of the modifier "...circling...".
namely, because you've introduced a modifier that's a CLAUSE, you have now opened up the possibility that the modifier modifies that clause, rather than the original phrase it's intended to modify.
this would be bad, because, in this second interpretation, "circling..." would actually be taken to modify just the majority of planets that are at least as large as Jupiter, rather than all the planets in question as intended.

in other words, if you introduce that sort of construction, there are now 2 ways to interpret the sentence:
(1) the intended interpretation: the modifier, which is set off by commas, is to be neglected in the interpretation of the sentence, and "circling" is to be taken as if it followed "planets" immediately, without a comma (because that's the way it would be if the modifier were removed - neither of the commas would be there anymore).
(2) the modifier is to be taken as "comma + -ing", a construction that modifies the preceding clause. this is the source of the aforementioned ambiguity.

--

the original version of (c) is better, because it doesn't possess this ambiguity: (2) is no longer possible, because we can't interpret the modifier as "comma + -ing". if we tried, we'd be stuck in a quandary, because the preceding words are a phrase, not a clause.
interpretation (1), however, still stands: it's a modifier that, in essence, directly follows "planets" and therefore modifies that particular noun.

I could not understand :
(2) is no longer possible, because we can't interpret the modifier as "comma + -ing". if we tried, we'd be stuck in a quandary, because the preceding words are a phrase, not a clause.

why we cannot interpret the modifier as "comma + -ing", if the preceding words are a phrase?

In my mind, if we interpreted the modifier as "comma + -ing", then "...circling..." would modify the main clause "astronomers have detected.....", so if we interpreted in this way, <C>would be wrong.

I know this intrepretation is wrong, but i don't know why.Frustrated by "-ing" form, i need help.

thanks in advance.

Cris
Crisc419
Students

by Crisc419 Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:20 am

I read the following examples in another post :

John photographed his wife wearing a bustier.
No comma, so "wearing..." modifies "wife." She wore the bustier.

John photographed his wife, wearing a bustier.
Comma, so "wearing..." attributes actions to "John." He wore the bustier.

John photographed his wife, a stunning redhead, wearing a bustier.
Here the commas don't tell us. We know that they're marking off the appositive "a stunning redhead," but only context can help us say whether "wearing a bustier" is adverbial or adjectival.

my question is : do those examples mean, consider interpret "circling " with or without comma are right, as long as the context is reasonable?

my examples:
(a)A company invested thousands of millions in the Disneyland, one of the most famous resorts in the world, holding interesting shows on holidays to attract visitors.
----correct, "holding..." is an adjectival modifier, which modifies " Disneyland"

(b) A company invested thousands of millions in the Disneyland, one of the most famous resorts in the world, bringing up the price of the surrounding property significantly.
----correct, "holding..." is an adverbial modifier, which modifies the main clause "A company invested thousands of millions in the Disneyland".

Therefore, here "circling...." is right, because it is reasonable to interpret it as an adjectival modifier, which modifies "planet"?

are my examples above and reasoning right? anyone can help me ?

many, many thanks.

Cris
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:12 am

Here the commas don't tell us. We know that they're marking off the appositive "a stunning redhead," but only context can help us say whether "wearing a bustier" is adverbial or adjectival.

...right, but, in context it's obvious that the wife is wearing the lingerie, so the sentence is OK.

remember—the FIRST STEP of ANY SC problem is to establish what the sentence is supposed to say.
you should NEVER have to tussle with "multiple possible interpretations" when you are considering answer choices -- you should ALREADY KNOW exactly what the sentence is supposed to mean.
Crisc419
Students

by Crisc419 Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

...right, but, in context it's obvious that the wife is wearing the lingerie, so the sentence is OK.

remember—the FIRST STEP of ANY SC problem is to establish what the sentence is supposed to say.
you should NEVER have to tussle with "multiple possible interpretations" when you are considering answer choices -- you should ALREADY KNOW exactly what the sentence is supposed to mean.

I got the point, at first, to understand the meaning of the sentence and figure out the modifers should modify which part of the sentence, and then to check whether they are placed as close as possible.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:42 am

exactly.
TaoL266
Students

by TaoL266 Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:42 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
JIYUS618 Wrote:Ron,you mean,
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling other stars.
the colored phrase is an appositive of planets, so it is non essential,and can be eliminated with two commas,then
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets circling other stars
As an adjective,"circling"modifies planets
Is it rht? if wrong,pls clarify the difference.
Thank you in advance.

Looks correct to me.

I think "circling" modifies "most of them" rather than 'planets'.
I interpret the sentence into the following structure, in which "most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling other stars." modifiers the main clause and "circling..." modifies "most of them".
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, (most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling other stars.)

To me, the "SVO, which..., verbing... " structure is so confusing that I have no idea about what the "verbing..." modifies? Whether it is modifying the subject of the main clause or the object of the main clause to which the "which" clause refers or even, more straightforwardly, the "which" ?

There is another example from a former thread: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... sh#p107857
Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
In this case, "slowing" modifies the weather to which "the which clause" refers.

Can anyone help me about my confusion?

Thanks a lot.

BR
Tony
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

This problem is a good example of the conflict inherent in good sentence construction: on one hand we have rules that govern our usage of language, and on the other we have the desire to express meaning within the framework of those rules. Often some sort of compromise is involved.

The basic rules governing "verbing" modifiers are as follows:
A 'comma -ing' modifier modifies the clause before it, and requires a logical connection between the two actions (usually a consequence or simultaneous actions). Some examples:
The student sat in a chair, reading a book.
I broke a window, making my dad angry.

A modifier with -ing and no comma is a simple noun modifier. For example:
Look at the birds flying overhead.
I saw a person driving badly.

Check out the SC Strategy Guide for more on these.
I think "circling" modifies "most of them" rather than 'planets'.

I guess that you interpret part of the meaning of the sentence as follows:
"In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them circling other stars." That's actually a pretty nonsensical sentence. I mean, all planets circle starts, and it implies that some of the planets that they found are in our solar system!

Now, as Ron explained in one of the posts above, in the problem cited we have the second type of modifier. If the sentence said this -
"In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, circling other stars." - it would have a crazy meaning, implying that the astronomers detected the planets while they (the astronomers) were circling other stars.

Really, the sentence can be broken down to this: "In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets circling other stars." However, the writer wants to add a bit more information about the planets (i.e. another noun modifier) but has a dilemma. There are already two noun modifiers touching 'planets' (the adjective 'massive' and the 'circling...' modifier). So the writer decides to squeeze in the phrase 'most of them at least as large as Jupiter' as a bit of a compromise. It would be either that or breaking the sentence up into two parts and the second option would be rather cumbersome.
TaoL266
Students

by TaoL266 Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 am

Hi Sage,
Thanks for your explanation, I think I have got your meaning.

In some cases, when a noun has multiple modifiers, we always make the structure as described in our examples in order to have a concise sentence rather than write a new sentence to describe the noun, which might be too cumbersome.

To have better and easier understanding of the sentence, I think I can treat the "most of them at least as large as Jupiter" as a parenthesis that modifies the planets, while the main clause can be interpreted as " astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets circling other stars", and the whole sentence will be much easier to understand.

The same is true for the other example. The main clause is "Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture. ", while " which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions " is also a parenthesis that modifies weather.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am

In some cases, when a noun has multiple modifiers, we always make the structure as described in our examples in order to have a concise sentence rather than write a new sentence to describe the noun, which might be too cumbersome.

Don't be extreme here! I mean, we could write two sentences if it makes things clearer. Remember that the basic idea of good writing is to get your point across succinctly, precisely, and elegantly. Have a look at some of these long sentences: https://thejohnfox.com/long-sentences/
To have better and easier understanding of the sentence, I think I can treat the "most of them at least as large as Jupiter" as a parenthesis that modifies the planets, while the main clause can be interpreted as " astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets circling other stars", and the whole sentence will be much easier to understand.

That's exactly what I suggest.
The same is true for the other example. The main clause is "Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture. ", while " which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions " is also a parenthesis that modifies weather.

Kind of, however think carefully about the meaning. It wasn't just the weather that slowed sales, it was the fact that it was colder and wetter than usual. Here, the basic core of the sentence is 'Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather', then we add on the two modifiers to give some extra information.