Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
lamesis2106
Students

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college

by lamesis2106 Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:56 am

This question is from GMATPrep。 after I search the forum, I found similar question but different type.

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.

the answer is B.
I think the argument is "the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years."

Although many students stay at school longer, it doesn't mean that people who have college degree won't higher. Because the argument uses "eventually".

So I need help, thanks in advance :).
mittalpankaj
Students

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college

by mittalpankaj Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please answer this question. B does not make sense to me as well. "Eventually" is a strong word. If it was for this year, I could agree.

I am pretty sure that I am missing an important point. can anyone please explain?

- Pankaj
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:43 am

the problem with this argument is that it takes the observation that "the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily", and takes that observation to mean that the number of graduates is going to increase in proportion.

choice (b) attacks this connection -- if students are taking longer to graduate from college, then the increased enrollment doesn't necessarily mean that there will be any more graduates! it's just a symptom of the fact that students are staying in school for longer.

for instance, if students take 4 years to graduate from college and college graduates 1000 students per year, then (not counting dropouts) that college's enrollment will be approximately 4000 students.
if students begin to take five years to graduate from college, then that same college will begin to have an enrollment of 5000 students -- even if it graduates the same number (1000) of students per year.
n.rajitr
Students

by n.rajitr Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:31 am

RonPurewal Wrote:the problem with this argument is that it takes the observation that "the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily", and takes that observation to mean that the number of graduates is going to increase in proportion.

choice (b) attacks this connection -- if students are taking longer to graduate from college, then the increased enrollment doesn't necessarily mean that there will be any more graduates! it's just a symptom of the fact that students are staying in school for longer.

for instance, if students take 4 years to graduate from college and college graduates 1000 students per year, then (not counting dropouts) that college's enrollment will be approximately 4000 students.
if students begin to take five years to graduate from college, then that same college will begin to have an enrollment of 5000 students -- even if it graduates the same number (1000) of students per year.

Fantastic explanation Ron. You simply rock.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Ron does indeed rock! Thanks all.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
karanrob
Students

by karanrob Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 am

Guys,

I find a flaw in the response. (just my opinion, might be wrong)

The argument begins by mentioning that ppl with a college degree in Kravonia earn on average more than than ppl working with no college degrees. (Does not say how much more).

Now the link - Get a degree to earn more in Kravonia.

Choice A states that Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more on average than ppl who have just one degree.

Why would a student graduating not want to earn more if that is the whole point of this argument???

Also, Point B states that number of years taken on average by a student to complete studies has been growing. Ok. Was 3 years. Now is 4.

The question stem says- The number of Kravonians entering the job market (when ???, this year, next year, after 5 years?) will eventually be higher than previous years.

Both weaken on a IF basis. Not concrete to my head.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:08 am

karanrob Wrote:Choice A states that Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more on average than ppl who have just one degree.

Why would a student graduating not want to earn more if that is the whole point of this argument???

i don't see what connection you're trying to make here -- but (a) is irrelevant to the argument, which deals only with "yes college degree(s)" vs. "no college degree".

(a) distinguishes instead between "one college degree" and "multiple college degrees" -- a distinction that is not made in the argument.

Also, Point B states that number of years taken on average by a student to complete studies has been growing. Ok. Was 3 years. Now is 4.

The question stem says- The number of Kravonians entering the job market (when ???, this year, next year, after 5 years?) will eventually be higher than previous years.

scroll up 3 posts from your post (or scroll up 4 posts from this one) for an explanation of why the increased *number* of enrolled students doesn't translate into more graduates. if you don't understand that explanation, then quote it and explain specifically what you don't understand.
georgepaul0071987
Students

by georgepaul0071987 Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:04 pm

If the question asks us to "strengthen the conclusion " would (d) and (e) be potential strengtheners ? I’m asking because in the Thursdays with Ron video in which this question was addressed , Ron mentioned that (d) and (e) are irrelevant to the argument’s conclusion.
(D) implies that jobs that were previously held by "non degree holders" will not shift to "degree holders" . The argument’s conclusion states that the "number of people with college degrees entering the workforce will increase " ; so if these people see that more jobs are available for them , they might be inclined to "enter the workforce" so to speak rather than do something such as going for a graduate degree.
(E) might also be able to strengthen the argument ; Since these "high paying jobs" are available more people might be inclined to enter the "worforce" rather than do something such as going for a graduate degree .

Am I wrong in assuming so many things ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:57 pm

george
georgepaul0071987 Wrote:Am I wrong in assuming so many things ?

the most reliable indicator that you are going too far with your assumptions is your own word, "might". in essence, the use of "might" amounts to "i'm just making this up, essentially at random, and trying to build an argument on it". in other words, definitely not strong enough to be a legitimate strengthener or weakener.

the real point here, though, is that you don't have to worry about this distinction in the first place -- because the question is asking you to weaken the argument. therefore, if the issue is "it might strengthen the argument a little bit, or it might be irrelevant", then there's really no issue at all, because both of these outcomes represent a No to the question, is the argument weakened?"

if this were a strengthening question instead, i'm fairly certain these answer choices wouldn't show up. they are too indirectly related to be correct answers, but even that essentially negligible level of doubt would be too much for an official problem.
georgepaul0071987
Students

by georgepaul0071987 Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:59 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:george
georgepaul0071987 Wrote:Am I wrong in assuming so many things ?

the most reliable indicator that you are going too far with your assumptions is your own word, "might". in essence, the use of "might" amounts to "i'm just making this up, essentially at random, and trying to build an argument on it". in other words, definitely not strong enough to be a legitimate strengthener or weakener.

the real point here, though, is that you don't have to worry about this distinction in the first place -- because the question is asking you to weaken the argument. therefore, if the issue is "it might strengthen the argument a little bit, or it might be irrelevant", then there's really no issue at all, because both of these outcomes represent a No to the question, is the argument weakened?"

if this were a strengthening question instead, i'm fairly certain these answer choices wouldn't show up. they are too indirectly related to be correct answers, but even that essentially negligible level of doubt would be too much for an official problem.

For CR questions in general does it make sense to do this kind of analysis ? I mean if the official question asks for a weakener , then after finishing the problem should I also try to figure out what options could potentially strengthen the argument ? Or is this a waste of time ?

Also is it a good idea to "figure" out why exactly the creators of the test put in a particular answer choice ? or if I find the option irrelevant , should I just eliminate it and move on ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 am

georgepaul0071987 Wrote:For CR questions in general does it make sense to do this kind of analysis ? I mean if the official question asks for a weakener , then after finishing the problem should I also try to figure out what options could potentially strengthen the argument ? Or is this a waste of time ?

basically a waste of your time. in fact, it's worse than just a waste of time, in two ways:
1/
it trains you to become distracted from the actual task at hand. (i.e., rather than thinking about weakening the argument, you're training yourself to think about all sorts of irrelevant things.)
2/
it will create issues that should actually be non-issues, such as the one in this thread.

Also is it a good idea to "figure" out why exactly the creators of the test put in a particular answer choice ? or if I find the option irrelevant , should I just eliminate it and move on ?

if there's an obvious reason, you can note it. if not, don't spend a ton of effort trying to read their minds.
a lot of the answer choices are basically just random; remember that, at the end of the day, they have to write 5 answer choices for each problem, and they won't always (or even usually) have divine inspiration for all five.

there is, however, one thing you should try to do for all CR problem types except "draw the conclusion" and "boldface": make a new correct answer to the problem.
in other words, create a new "answer choice" that doesn't work in the same way as the original correct answer, but that would also be a correct answer if it were present.
this will help to get your brain thinking in the right way, since it will be impossible to do if you are thinking in terms of memorized "rules".
david.c.fu
Students

by david.c.fu Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:the problem with this argument is that it takes the observation that "the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily", and takes that observation to mean that the number of graduates is going to increase in proportion.

Ron, I am still a bit confused.
The argument says "will eventually be significant higher" and doesn't give a timeline. So even the students delay their graduations, they will "eventually" graduate(no evidence in the passage supports they will drop out). Therefore, B won't weaken the argument. What did I assume here?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 am

david.c.fu Wrote:Ron, I am still a bit confused.
The argument says "will eventually be significant higher" and doesn't give a timeline. So even the students delay their graduations, they will "eventually" graduate(no evidence in the passage supports they will drop out). Therefore, B won't weaken the argument. What did I assume here?

take a look at my post (the one you quoted) again.

choice b weakens the argument by undermining the idea that there are going to be more college graduates in the first place.
it's not a "timeline" thing. instead, if choice B is true, then it's quite possible that there will continue to be exactly the same number of graduates per year as in years past.

again, think about numbers if necessary. let's say a 4-year college has 4000 students; then that means 1000 students are graduating per year.
now, let's say the college's enrollment increases to 5000 students.
your first thought may be "hey, 25% more students = 25% more graduates". while this would be a perfectly valid thought if everyone were still graduating in 4 years, it doesn't work anymore if people are now taking 5 years to graduate; in that case, you're still looking at 1000 graduates per year. (the increased enrollment would just be an artifact of the fact that there are now 5 classes of students enrolled, not just 4 anymore; each graduating class will be the same size as always.)
ankish
Students

by ankish Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:34 pm

A and B both can be the correct answer, BUT B is less devil. Hence B.
mandy0825
Course Students

by mandy0825 Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Sorry to add a question to this CR problem--I went with E thinking that means there are not enough graduates available despite the increased enrolled college students. I thought B has a similar point but E actually states fewer graduates so chose E. What is wrong with my thinking...?

Thanks for your help!