Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
vik

In human hearing, subtle differences

by vik Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:58 pm

In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine the qualities of that sound.
A. in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine
B. in the two ears hearing a given sound help the listener in determining
C. in how a sound is heard by the two ears helps the listener determine
D. between how the two ears hear a given sound helps the listener in determining
E. between how a sound is heard by the two ears help the listener in determining

This is a GMAT Prep question

How to elimante this question

My first go was differences should have between . Even though "is heard " in E is passive I preferred that over A

But it is wrong. Correct answer is A ( My question for A is :help the listener determine should be help the listener to determine Otherwise A looks awkward.

Please explain
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 pm

First, it shouldn't be "help the listener to determine" (although that is how lots of people would say it). You don't need the "to" - and, if you don't need it, then it's not going to be in the correct answer!

Be careful about deciding based upon what sounds good or bad. The test will fool your ear. Go based upon the specific rules you KNOW are true.

You may read an original sentence and think it sounds awkward (in fact, this will happen quite a lot!), but if you cannot point to a specific area that you KNOW is an actual grammatical error, don't eliminate A. It stays in as a possibility.

The in vs. between issue is an idiom. I say differences in X (just one thing) or differences between X and Y (two things). This sentence has one thing: how the two ears hear a given sound. So, I need "differences in." Elim D and E.

B says "differences in the two ears hearing" - that makes it sound like the two ears themselves are different (as in, they look different or something), as opposed to a difference in the way the two ears perceive a sound. That's not the original meaning (and doesn't even make a lot of sense), so elim B.

C says "differences... helps" - that's a subj-verb mismatch. Elim C. (you can also use this to elim D, if you haven't already eliminated it).

Only A is left. (And, usually this will be the process for getting yourself to A. There won't be anything wrong with it but you'll be suspicious of it b/c 80% of the time there IS something wrong with it, so you'll find some reason to say it sounds bad. But DO NOT eliminate A unless you can point to a specific error. Leave it in and test the others.)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Saurabh Malpani

by Saurabh Malpani Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:13 pm

skoprince Wrote:First, it shouldn't be "help the listener to determine" (although that is how lots of people would say it). You don't need the "to" - and, if you don't need it, then it's not going to be in the correct answer!

Be careful about deciding based upon what sounds good or bad. The test will fool your ear. Go based upon the specific rules you KNOW are true.

You may read an original sentence and think it sounds awkward (in fact, this will happen quite a lot!), but if you cannot point to a specific area that you KNOW is an actual grammatical error, don't eliminate A. It stays in as a possibility.

The in vs. between issue is an idiom. I say differences in X (just one thing) or differences between X and Y (two things). This sentence has one thing: how the two ears hear a given sound. So, I need "differences in." Elim D and E.

B says "differences in the two ears hearing" - that makes it sound like the two ears themselves are different (as in, they look different or something), as opposed to a difference in the way the two ears perceive a sound. That's not the original meaning (and doesn't even make a lot of sense), so elim B.

C says "differences... helps" - that's a subj-verb mismatch. Elim C. (you can also use this to elim D, if you haven't already eliminated it).

Only A is left. (And, usually this will be the process for getting yourself to A. There won't be anything wrong with it but you'll be suspicious of it b/c 80% of the time there IS something wrong with it, so you'll find some reason to say it sounds bad. But DO NOT eliminate A unless you can point to a specific error. Leave it in and test the others.)

Stacey, I am not sure how two ears is one thing? the difference between two twins is the height. --Is this wrong?

or do we say --Difference in two twins is their height.?

I am kind of confused please suggest.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:54 am

Saurabh Malpani Wrote:
Stacey, I am not sure how two ears is one thing? the difference between two twins is the height. --Is this wrong?

re: your question above: you would say 'the difference between the two twins', because the two twins are two different people (as stacey points out above). more to the point, if you were actually differentiating between the ears themselves, you would indeed say: 'the difference between the two ears is...'

however, in this problem, you are not talking about the difference between the two ears; you're talking about the differences in one action - the same action - that's being performed by each of the two ears. therefore, you say 'the difference in the way the two ears perform this function.'

more illustrations:
the differences between the two twins are displayed in stark relief when they argue with each other.
the differences in the way the two twins play the violin are displayed in stark relief when they play duets together.

make sense?
Saurabh Malpani

by Saurabh Malpani Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:06 am

Thanks for such a good explanation!!!!

Saurabh Malpani
rajibgmat

by rajibgmat Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 pm

RPurewal Wrote:
Saurabh Malpani Wrote:

re: your question above: you would say 'the difference between the two twins', because the two twins are two different people (as stacey points out above). more to the point, if you were actually differentiating between the ears themselves, you would indeed say: 'the difference between the two ears is...'

however, in this problem, you are not talking about the difference between the two ears; you're talking about the differences in one action - the same action - that's being performed by each of the two ears. therefore, you say 'the difference in the way the two ears perform this function.'

more illustrations:
the differences between the two twins are displayed in stark relief when they argue with each other.
the differences in the way the two twins play the violin are displayed in stark relief when they play duets together.

make sense?

Superb Ron. You are superman :)
dps

by dps Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:28 pm

No one has asked this, so might be a stupid question

In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine the qualities of that sound.

Why is it determine instead of determines?

If I say a simple sentence, "the listener determines the qualities of that sound".
or "the listeners determine the qualities of that sound"

So why is determine correct in this question?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:39 am

dps Wrote:If I say a simple sentence, "the listener determines the qualities of that sound".
or "the listeners determine the qualities of that sound"

true but irrelevant, because "listener" isn't the subject of this sentence.

it's part of the construction "...help the listener determine...".

idiomatically, the construction "... help NOUN VERB..." takes the infinitive form of the verb (minus the leading "to") ... because it just does. that's how idiomatic usage is; there isn't necessarily a good reason.
dps

by dps Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks!

didn't know about this construction. I know subjunctive also follows similar rules.
Are there any other idioms with this behavior? how can I find these idioms?

Btw, what's the subject of the verb "determine" in this sentence?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:59 am

dps Wrote:Are there any other idioms with this behavior?

um... here's one:
i'm going to make you forget all about him.
i'm sure there are others, but none are coming to mind at the moment.

the following are commonplace, but i'm only 87% sure they're acceptable in formal writing:
i saw her take that shot.
i heard him yell from over a mile away.

how can I find these idioms?

heh heh.
there's no easy way. the best way, in my experience, is to read a large number of things in well-written formal english.

surprisingly, i've had a very hard time turning up adequate lists of idiomatic constructions in english on the internet in my brief attempts. the problem i've encountered is that search terms like "idiomatic constructions" are so formal that they turn up mostly scholarly papers, rather than the ground-level stuff that you (and we) are looking for.

if you find anything good and reasonably comprehensive, we'd love to know about it.

Btw, what's the subject of the verb "determine" in this sentence?

there isn't one; it's a truncated infinitive. you could also write "help the listener to determine..."
infinitives aren't tensed verbs, so they don't technically have subjects. although clearly it's the listener (the direct object of "help", incidentally) who's determining something here.
cesar.rodriguez.blanco
Course Students

Re: In human hearing, subtle differences

by cesar.rodriguez.blanco Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Is the same "help the listener determine" AND "help the listener to determine"
I studied that help can be followed by Bare Infinitive (without TO) or TO infinitive, but I do not know if in the GMAT world is there any difference!!!!
Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:40 am

cesar.rodriguez.blanco Wrote:Is the same "help the listener determine" AND "help the listener to determine"
I studied that help can be followed by Bare Infinitive (without TO) or TO infinitive, but I do not know if in the GMAT world is there any difference!!!!
Thanks.

i THINK that both of these are ok.

they are definitely both ok in conventional english. this is one of those things, though, about which the gmat may have some sort of strange convention.

the only way to tell is to find a precedent, which would have to be an official problem. (other test prep materials don't help in resolving this sort of query, since their guess is as good as ours.)
hema.jce
Students

by hema.jce Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:14 pm

In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine the qualities of that sound..

Is'nt the subject "differences" here?

will the above sentence still be "help", if it was "difference" ? i.e
subtle difference in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine

Pls. clarify.
hema.jce
Students

by hema.jce Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:09 pm

can any one pls. clarify my above doubt

Thanks..
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:49 am

hema.jce Wrote:In human hearing, subtle differences in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine the qualities of that sound..

Is'nt the subject "differences" here?

will the above sentence still be "help", if it was "difference" ? i.e
subtle difference in how the two ears hear a given sound help the listener determine

Pls. clarify.

no. "difference" is singular, so you'd use "helps" in that case.

however, you wouldn't be able to say just "difference"; you'd have to say "a subtle difference" or the subtle difference".