Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
jasonk1234

If the square root of p2 is an integer, which

by jasonk1234 Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:49 pm

If the square root of p2 is an integer, which of the following must be true?

I. p2 has an odd number of factors

II. p2 can be expressed as the product of an even number of prime factors

III. p has an even number of factors

I
II
III
I and II
II and III

I had used "0" thinking that the square root of 0^2 would be 0. I thought this would disprove Statement II. Where am I going wrong? Am I not able to use 0 Because the Square root of zero is undefined? Or is that their are 0 prime factors and 0 is even? Please let me know the flaw in my logic. I appreciate everyones help.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 am

Huh.

If "p2" means p squared (which we would normally write on here as p^2), then the problem statement is telling you only that the absolute value of p is an integer (because root (p^2) is the absolute value of p), which means, in short, that p is an integer.

So the problem is just, "If p is an integer, then which of the following is true?"

I agree with everything you've said about choice II. Yes, you are correct: the square root of 0 is 0, and 0 can't be reduced to a product of primes.
Incidentally, p = 1 and p = -1 are also problematic, for the same reason (p^2 would be 1, which also lacks a prime factorization).

The gist of the problem is that, for any OTHER p, p^2 DOES factor into an even # of primes (it's a perfect square, so you get two copies of everything in the factorization). I'll submit this problem for 'fixage'.

Other answers:
I isn't true. If p is 3, for instance, then p^2 is 9, which has three factors (1, 3, and 9).
III isn't true either, since p can be any integer at all. (Therefore, the example of p=3 is a counterexample again.)
srikant

Did you correct the question

by srikant Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:20 am

Ron,

Did you get the question changed?
Please let me know how did you rephrase it or what changes did you make?

I had selected option 2 as I never thought of using 0 for P.

I think if we can fix this problem by using positive integer instead of just integer and then option 2 would be the correct one.
drtfyghujd403
Forum Guests

Re: If the square root of p2 is an integer, which

by drtfyghujd403 Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:17 am

Can anyone tell me what the final answer is with explanation please?
tim
Course Students

Re: If the square root of p2 is an integer, which

by tim Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:13 am

You asked this same question in another thread. Please read my answer there.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html