If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
CarissaG413
Course Students

If I score lower on second test, should I cancel my score?

by CarissaG413 Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Took the GMAT the first time with a 670 - headed back in soon hoping to break 700 - if I score less than my first sitting, should I cancel or will that make schools wonder if I really messed up? Is there a threshold (ie if I score a 650/660 keep it but if it falls below that, cancel).

Just wondering if schools will see a drop in score as a bigger red flag than one decent score and a canceled score.

Thank you!
AndrewF182
Course Students

Re: If I score lower on second test, should I cancel my score?

by AndrewF182 Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:46 pm

from what I've read, many B-schools like knowing that you've taken the test more than once. Even if your score doesn't improve, it shows dedication to your desire to attend. That's Just my research as a fellow test taker, not an mba consultant.
lphunt
Course Students

by lphunt Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:18 pm

I was wondering the exact same thing Carissa! It would be really great to get some advice on whether or not I should cancel my score in the case that it drops the 2nd time around.

I scored a 700 on my first exam, so I'm wondering what the score threshold would be for showing a lower score vs. canceling a lower score since schools will see that I cancelled?

Thanks in advance!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi there,

First of all I encourage you to stay positive! ;) As many test takers do see increases the 2nd time around, especially if you've been continuing to prep etc, and more so from the 600s than 700s (as obviously it gets tougher to improve the higher you go) ;). On the test be sure you are thinking positive-- any negative thoughts or worries can truly bring down performance by introducing doubt and anxiety into your mindset. ;)

Anyway -- no definitely black-and-white answer on your q--- but the main thing to remember is that schools DO take the highest score. There's no question on that fact. Since the exam is adaptive, it's theoretically impossible to "out-test" your actual ability-- so the highest score you make IS something you are capable of (vs a lower score can be an off day), hence why schools are fine with accepting that. Also, it is generally self-reported and just verified later, so basically you choose what score to report when you fill out the apps in many cases.

They will see a notice of cancellation if that is the case and will not know what happened. So it's up to you really-- if it's within the ballpark of your prior score I wouldn't worry about it. If something drastic happens and for some reason you feel it's shockingly low (usually would only be like you got ill or something!), certainly you may feel more comfortable cancelling.

But anyway while you want to have a back up plan/contingency in mind-- focus on the more likely scenario of a good score, good luck!

ps-- and yes also agree with Andrew's comment that in general taking it again after a score lower than the school's average is worthwhile and sometimes schools do appreciate your dedication to giving it another shot, true.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
CarissaG413
Course Students

by CarissaG413 Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks Jen!

Definitely helpful - I won't cancel the score unless it winds up below a 600 for some strange reason.

I appreciate your advice!

Carissa
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:49 pm

You're welcome Carissa, good luck and keep me posted!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php