The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
chrisminter9
Students

ID Mismatched - Not Allowed to Take Test

by chrisminter9 Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:08 pm

I arrived at my local testing center this morning and was not allowed to take the GMAT because of a MINOR discrepancy between how I registered and what's printed on my driver's license.

Ever since I was born, I've been called by my middle name and have always abbreviated my first initial - for example, J. Christopher instead of Jon Christopher. So, since I always register under J. Christopher (and plan to do the same for graduate school), it seems to make sense to me that I would register the same way when enrolling to take the GMAT. But, I was refused entry today because J. didn't match up exactly to Jon, even though the middle name, last name, date of birth, address, etc. were all identical.

I must say, while I can certainly see how I did not follow the instructions exactly, I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I've been studying for the GMAT for months and am ready to have the stress lifted off my shoulders, but now will have to wait even longer.

My question is...does anyone have any idea what I an expect? Will I be able to reschedule the test for another day soon (next week, maybe)? Will I be expected to repay the $250 fee?

Thanks,

JCM