Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
HS

I went to the store and bought milk

by HS Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:02 am

On page 46 of the SC guide, an exception to the past perfect rule is verbs that have the same grammatical subject. However, for the sentence "I went to the store and bought milk", there seems to be two subjects - store and milk? Also, is it wrong to use the past perfect in this case? (i.e. I had gone to the store and bought milk)

Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:32 am

The subject here is I. I went to the store. I bought milk. Store and milk are objects.

I just read through page 46 and don't find mention of the exception you are discussing. Could you specify which paragraph? Or is it on a different page?

You would not say "I had gone to the store and bought milk." Remember that the two events need to have taken place at different times. You buy the milk while you're still in the store. The actions don't represent two distinct times.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
HS

Re:

by HS Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:36 am

Hi Stacey,

The exception described on page 46 is as follows:

Exceptions to the rule: (1) Verbs that have the same grammatical subject. For instance, I went to the store and bought milk. Went happened before bought, but there is no need to use the past perfect, because the sequence is clear.

I really hope I have the right version of the book....this is the set I got from enrolling in the MGMAT course in just 2-3 months ago. You also mentioned page 88 is different in your version of the book?

Thanks
HS

by HS Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:40 am

And thanks Stacey for the explanation on the subject of the sentence - didn't realize that "I" was the subject. That certainly clears things up :)
rfernandez
Course Students

by rfernandez Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 pm

On the cover of your book it should say "2007 edition." That's the latest edition, and that's the edition you should have received 2-3 months ago.

Rey
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue May 06, 2008 1:28 am

My 2007 edition is from the first printing - we've had additional printings since then, and things sometimes get added / typos get fixed, that sort of thing. I just recently got one of the newer printings and checked - voila, now I see what you see! :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
HS

by HS Tue May 06, 2008 10:39 am

Ok, thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 pm

glad we got it straighted out!
Stacey Koprince