Arjun51
Students

How much importance do B schools give to IR scores?

by Arjun51 Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am

Hello everyone!

Can anyone please state about how much importance do B schools give to the IR scores?

Cheers,
Arjun
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: How much importance do B schools give to IR scores?

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:21 am

Apologies for the delay in replying to this. There's some debate about the importance of IR as part of your applications, and here are some basics:
-It's significantly less important than your score out of 800.
-The bulk of your preparation should be for the quant and verbal sections. This will impact your IR in any case, as IR draws on similar skills to quant and verbal.
-Now that IR has been established for a while, some b-schools are paying more attention to it than they did when it was first introduced 4 years ago. Word on the street has it that some consulting firms are taking it as a significant indicator. After all, it deals with more 'real world' type problems than shorter quant or verbal questions.
-I'd recommend doing some research yourself to find out IR's importance for your application: include a question about IR to fellow applicants, b-school contacts, admissions officers, and admissions consultants that you meet on your application journey.
-To my in-class students my general message is: for most students IR isn't hugely important, but aim for an okay score of 4 or above.