Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
rikhia
Students

Hi Please grade my Essay!

by rikhia Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:59 am

The Topic is: It is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them.

This is my first attempt at an essay, i will be bothering you guys with more later!

15th August, 1947, Jawaharlal Nehru, the prime minister of the new born nation, addresses the people, of their new found freedom. No one thought that would be possible without bloodshed on either sides, but one man stood for it all. That man, that godsend was the Father of the new-born nation, Mahatma Gandhi.

Gandhi was a steadfast believer in the notion that we now know as Non Violence. 2000 years ago, Jesus Christ had followed the same notion, as simple as not repeating the never-ending cycle of tit-for-tat.

Gandhi practiced Non Violence at a time when his other contemporaries were shooting British Officers, or bombing their offices and getting executed in the process. Gandhi endured the same humiliation, suffering and exhaustion as them, but he still went on forward preaching thousands of followers who ardently stood behind him. They fought for their rights, they fought peacefully for non violence, they got stoned, gunned, beaten for what they were fighting for, but they still continued marching down for what they believed in. They started living with that principle. It was their mantra to abide by that. The British Raj, started using other tactics to harden their rule. Nothing worked. In the end, India gained back what she had lost 200 years ago, with respect and with grace.

Now we move forward a few years from 1947, and we arrive in the USA. Rosa Parks decides to not give up her seat to a white man. She is arrested for that misdemeanor, as it was back then, and she decides to fight for her rights. Martin Luther King Jr, practiced non violence and with that, he decided to lead the civil rights. Martin Luther King and Rosa Park’s dream was recognized at the cost of his death, because he lived up to his principles, also while fighting for them.

Principles are what that shape human beings. Principles give birth to art, philosophy and science. Principles drive our culture and our traditions. Principles hold families together. We all live them in our own way, we fight for them in our own way, and we die passing on our principles to the next generation.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Hi Please grade my Essay!

by StaceyKoprince Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi, thanks for posting your essays! Just an FYI that instructors don't grade or give feedback on essays (see the forum guidelines for details).

But I certainly hope other community members respond. Also, if you're in our class, you'll have an opportunity to get essays graded and get written feedback during the course (after class 6). Finally, you can get essays graded by GMAT Write (the official essay grading service from the makers of the exam) - they'll both grade the essays and provide feedback as to how to improve (for a fee). For details and pricing, go to www.mba.com and search for GMAT Write.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep