If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
So Worried...

Help! Please evaluate!

by So Worried... Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:03 am

Dear All and especially MBA Admission folks,

What do you guys think about my chances for top 10 MBA schools?

Undergraduate: Top-10 US undergraduate school
GPA: 3.6 (Honors)
Work Experience: Major Investment Bank Analyst (2yrs), and Strategic Consulting (2 yrs)
Essays: Should be good and Very unique.
Recommendations: Should be good.
GMAT: 620 :( This is the part that worries me...

My problem seems to be the GMAT. I have tried and tried and tried to study, but unable to pull my score up. I have been getting 620s for three times on Manhattan GMAT CAT, and 600 twice on the GMATPrep. I also took a Kaplan course. It seems like my score is at a plateau in the low 600 range.

At first I was only aiming at top 5 MBAs, but now I starting to give up...

I am disclosing a lot of info out here so I'd really appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

So Worried...
MBAApply

by MBAApply Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:37 pm

Just do the best you can on the GMAT and move on.

Practically speaking you have two choices:

(1) Curl up in a corner, cry yourself to death, worry about nuclear war, and not bother applying anywhere or

(2) You can just do the best you can on the written apps given your GMAT score, and hope for the best.

If you're going to apply to b-school anyways, worrying and playing mind games isn't going to help you.

And if you're wondering whether to bother or not - that's your choice, not anyone else's.

Good luck

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
Still Worried

Re: Help! Evaluate me!

by Still Worried Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:05 am

Thank you for your quick feedback, Alex.

I probably won't sit in the corner and cry about the GMAT and will definitely move on with the apps. Thanks for the motivation!

But what do you really think about my crappy GMAT score? My chances of admission to top 1o schools. I am willing to take this offline if you have free time, if not its cool too.

PS. I read Alex's post on your website and found the analogy on MBA and Car brands to be right in my alley. Good stuff!

Any other takers on my profile? I'd really appreciate those criticisms. For potential MBA applicant, I will give you my advice in exchange for your opinion!

Thanks,

Still Worried...
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:26 pm

Look, it's certainly an issue, but there's nothing you can do about it. Just apply and hope for the best. Worrying about or spending time evaluating your chances isn't going to help you in writing your application anyhow. You'll either get in, or you won't. If you're asking whether you should have a Plan B (whatever that is), you should always have a Plan B regardless of your profile because the admissions process can be such a crapshoot.

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com