Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
SuzanR808
Course Students

Hector remembers San Francisco as ...

by SuzanR808 Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Hector remembers San Francisco as it was when he left 10 years ago.
as though he had left ten years ago

Select (A) if the original version is correct. Select (B) if the boldface version is correct. Select (C) if neither is correct. Select (D) if both are correct.

This is question #5 from Strategy Guide #8 for Sentence Correction.

The explanation states that the answer is (D), and that both versions are correct. In the explanation, it says that the boldface version changes the meaning, but that both versions still make sense. I understand this, but I struggle with it in comparison to the explanation given to question #1 -- for which the answer was stated as (A) because the new version changed the meaning of the sentence and was labeled as UNJUSTIFIED.

Why is the change in meaning justified in question #5 but not in question #1?

Question #1 states:
No matter how much work it may require, getting an MBA turns out to be a wise investment for most people.
Even though it requires much work
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Hector remembers San Francisco as ...

by RonPurewal Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:30 am

that is a weird inconsistency. yeah.

it seems that you have the requisite understanding, though, so everything is definitely ok on your end.
abhisheks901
Students

by abhisheks901 Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 am

as though time has stood still in the 10 years since he left

Select (A) if the original version is correct. Select (B) if the boldface version is correct. Select (C) if neither is correct. Select (D) if both are correct.

This is question #5 from Strategy Guide #8 for Sentence Correction. edition 6

the official answer is D.

i have doubt for why boldface version is correct. it says that "time has stood still in the 10 years". i think it is better to replace "in" with "for". because "for" is used for duration of time.
i.e. as though time has stood still for the 10 years since he left.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri May 18, 2018 10:41 am

To be clear, this is taken from the Problem Set at the end of chapter 2 of the SC strategy guide. You can see how we've redacted the example from the old edition to make sure that the meanings are consistent.

i think it is better to replace "in" with "for". because "for" is used for duration of time.

There's more than one preposition that we can use with time. Sure, we say "She played football for one hour." However, we can also say "In the hour that she played football, her phone rang twice." I.e. there's something going on within the hour. I'd say that both 'for' and 'in' could be acceptable for the example from the strategy guide. I would encourage you not to worry about it.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi - a question on the bold face

How can the bold face be accurate -- are we not comparing a city (san francisco) to "time" ...my understanding is one has to compare
a) city to a city
b) time to time ..

------------------------

as though time has stood still in the 10 years since he left

This is question #5 from Strategy Guide #8 for Sentence Correction. edition 6

the official answer is D.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 am

I'm not sure I understand your question - what do you see as the comparison marker word(s) in this example?