If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
abhisheks901
Students

guide 2, page 179, if g(x) = 3x +

by abhisheks901 Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:19 am

if g(x) = 3x + (x)^ (1/2), what is the value of g(d^2 +6d+9) ? algebra, guide 2, page 179, que. 7, 6th edition

in solution to the above que, when we did square root of d^2+6d+9, it gave two answers : +(d+3) and -(d+3).

whereas, it is clearly mentioned on page 71 of algebra guide 2,6th edition, chapter 5 that " if a given equation contains a square root symbol on the GMAT, only use the positive root.

please solve

thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: guide 2, page 179, if g(x) = 3x +

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:39 am

Good point. There are two sides to this argument. On one hand, the square root is given to us in the formula, so we should only consider the positive root. But on the other hand, we've formed the equation by substituting the expression into the formula, so the equation wasn't technically "given" and we should consider both roots.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about this. GMAT is really good in official problems at avoiding confusion. I had a brief look in my Official Guide for any comparable problems but I couldn't find any. Let me know if you do. In any case I've never seen a problem that you'd get wrong by considering negative square roots.

Finally, this problem is designed to be a supplementary problem to help you on your algebra. There's no harm in considering the negative square root even though I'm inclined to agree with you that it's unnecessary for us to include that part in the explanation.