If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
millen.paschich
Course Students

Guide 1, 4th ed., pg 40

by millen.paschich Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 am

data sufficiency and sign question:

is the product of all of the elements in Set S negative?
1) all of the elements in Set S are negative
2) there are 5 negative numbers in Set S

my issue: i understand that statement 1) does not tell us how many numbers are in Set S, so we can not determine the sign. however, statement 2) tells us both how many numbers (5) and those numbers sign (negative). given that I believe zero can not be negative, why is the answer C, combined?

thanks
apwiedmann
Students

Re: Guide 1, 4th ed., pg 40

by apwiedmann Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:05 am

The second statement does not tell us how many numbers are in the set. There are definitely 5 negative numbers in the set but there may be a lot of other numbers in the set, too. One of these numbers could be 0, which means that the product of all the elements would be neither positive nor negative, since 0 is "neutral". As a result, you need both statements to know that a) there is no 0 in the set and b) there is an odd number of negative numbers in the set.

It's a mean question. Would you mind having a look at my question, which I posted just before yours? My question also refers to the first guide. Thanks!
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 pm

good explanation!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
Rnaut
Students

by Rnaut Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:31 pm

I don't understand why is statement 2 " Insuffieceint " !

Statement 2 : There are 5 negative numbers in Set S

0 is neither negative nor positive. So, 0 should not be included in the Set S.
Considering that...product of all other ( non- zero) elements will result in a negative Set S.

Please explain where I went wrong. Thanks
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Where does it say 0 cannot be a member of the set?
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
trapanister
Students

by trapanister Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:56 pm

to be honest the same guide says: if the GMAt says that "there are 5 of something" the are EXACTLY 5 of something......

So, if we have 5 of something and the statement tell us that there are 5 negative why we must infer that we can have more of 5 elements ??'

I'm not sure why we have to consider also 0 among the numbers of the set........

As a matter of fact, the same guide says HOWEVER, why however and bla bla bla .....

regards .
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:47 pm

If the GMAT tells you there are 5 negative numbers, there are only 5 negative numbers. This does not preclude the possibility that there could be numbers that are 0 or positive..
Tim Sanders

prepp
Students

by prepp Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Interesting question. So if it states that there are only 5 -ve numbers, then I guess 0 would not be a possibility of consideration, correct?

tim Wrote:If the GMAT tells you there are 5 negative numbers, there are only 5 negative numbers. This does not preclude the possibility that there could be numbers that are 0 or positive..
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 pm

prepp Wrote:Interesting question. So if it states that there are only 5 -ve numbers, then I guess 0 would not be a possibility of consideration, correct?

tim Wrote:If the GMAT tells you there are 5 negative numbers, there are only 5 negative numbers. This does not preclude the possibility that there could be numbers that are 0 or positive..

Yes, if the GMAT says that the set "consists of only five members, all of which are negative" then you're in the clear. Just watch the wording; the test writers love to trick us with stuff like this! :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor