Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
tim60288
Forum Guests

GMATPrep - Frederick Winslow Taylor

by tim60288 Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 am

Frederick Winslow Taylor, a machinist and engineer who worked in the early twentieth century, believed that the productivity of a job could be improved [if one were to separate the components of a task into its individual motions and found the best way to perform each motion, then redesign] the job so that each motion could be done as efficiently as possible.

(A) if one were to separate the components of a task into its individual motions and found the best way to perform each motion, then redesign
(B) if one separated the components of a task into individual motions, found the best way to perform the motions, and then redesigning
(C) if the components of a task were separated into individual motions, finding the best way of performing the motions, and then redesigned
(D) by separating the components of a task into individual motions, finding the best way to perform each motion, and then redesigning
(E) by separating the components of a task into individual motions, finding the best way of performing each motion, then redesign

Hi Instructors,
I delete
A
1. "improve + by" is more direct.
2. Pronoun "one"
3. Parallelism - Without "and" connect "then redesign"

B
2. Pronoun "one"

C
2. "if the components of a task were separated" is Wordy when compare with "by separating"

E
1. Parallelism - Without "and" connect "then redesign"
2. of performing...

Any other errors in A/B/C/E that we can remove or my ideas are incorrect.

Thank you : )
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re: GMATPrep - Frederick Winslow Taylor

by thanghnvn Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 am

[quote="tim60288"]Frederick Winslow Taylor, a machinist and engineer who worked in the early twentieth century, believed that the productivity of a job could be improved [if one were to separate the components of a task into its individual motions and found the best way to perform each motion, then redesign] the job so that each motion could be done as efficiently as possible.

(A) if one were to separate the components of a task into its individual motions and found the best way to perform each motion, then redesign
(B) if one separated the components of a task into individual motions, found the best way to perform the motions, and then redesigning
(C) if the components of a task were separated into individual motions, finding the best way of performing the motions, and then redesigned
(D) by separating the components of a task into individual motions, finding the best way to perform each motion, and then redesigning
(E) by separating the components of a task into individual motions, finding the best way of performing each motion, then redesign

A
"to be to do" in the if-clause is used to show an action happening after the action in main clause. it is hard to justify the use of "to be to do" in if clause and we should let this job latter.
the main problem in A is that we have to realized that "separate", "find" and "redesige" are need to be parallel logically. this is the hardest job, which means "understanding the meaning before checking grammar".

then, we check whether the three verbs are parallem grammaticaly or in form. they are not. A is wrong

B,C, E are similar to A .

D is correct.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 am

Tim60288, your observations seem OK, except in that you didn't find all the examples of non-parallelism. There are three actions that should be in parallel:
"- Separate the components
"- Find the best way to do each
"- Redesign the job

So, for instance, B is also non-parallel, but you didn't point this out.

tim60288 Wrote:Any other errors in A/B/C/E that we can remove or my ideas are incorrect.

This question is unfairly general. The forum is for specific questions, not for a general run-down of everything that's possibly wrong with every answer choice.
Please ask specific questions about specific answer choices. Thanks.
tim60288
Forum Guests

by tim60288 Mon May 19, 2014 6:25 am

Sure! Thanks Ron : )
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Sure.
Kun-JuiC625
Students

by Kun-JuiC625 Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:13 am

hello~ ron
what's wrong is the pronoun "one" ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:58 am

Kun-JuiC625 Wrote:hello~ ron
what's wrong is the pronoun "one" ?

Nothing is actually wrong with "one".
Stylistically, it's weird/awkward; if there's an easy work-around that eliminates it without creating an overly clumsy sentence, then that work-around is better. Style issues, though, are NOT tested on this exam.

The two choices with "one" both contain clear non-parallelism, so "one" is a non-issue. It's there to distract you. (Parallelism is the #1 topic in all of GMAT SC. If it's an issue, always examine it FIRST.)
AbhilashM94
Students

by AbhilashM94 Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Ron,

(D) by separating the components of a task into individual motions, finding the best way to perform each motion, and then redesigning - > PARALLEL

I know there is something wrong with AND FOUND in A. Breaks parallelism in some way.

Can you help?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:48 am

That's non-parallel because "to found" isn't right. It's "to find".

There's no need to repeat "to", but the actions still need to appear in the same forms, even if "to" is left out.

("To found" is a verb, but it's not the right verb here. It means "to establish or start", e.g., I founded a company.)
eggpain24
Forum Guests

by eggpain24 Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:14 pm

HI,ron
I recognize another error in choice A,please clarify,thanks!

if one were to separate the components of a task into its individual motions and found the best way to perform each motion

we get a subjunctive mood here to describe an unlikely or untrue situation, or situation not yet happen

since this verb mood is used, then in the main clause: the productivity of a job could be improved

we need "would" here to replace "could", because "would" in the only accepted use here in terms of subjunctive mood
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:36 am

I can come to d.

but d is wrong

the oa is wrong

separating should be replaced with separation.

I am confused. Pls, explain
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:the oa is wrong

No.
It's not.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 pm

eggpain24 Wrote:HI,ron

if one were to separate the components of a task into its individual motions and found the best way to perform each motion

we get a subjunctive mood here to describe an unlikely or untrue situation, or situation not yet happen

since this verb mood is used, then in the main clause: the productivity of a job could be improved

we need "would" here to replace "could", because "would" in the only accepted use here in terms of subjunctive mood

Nope. Either can be used.

If you were to invent X, you would get rich —> If you actually come up with this invention (= something I see as unlikely), you will DEFINITELY get rich.

If you were to invent X, you could get rich —> If you actually come up with this invention (= something I see as unlikely), you MIGHT get rich, but that outcome still isn't certain (e.g., maybe you won't be prudent enough about protecting your intellectual property and/or good enough at negotiating a price for it).
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:49 pm

On the other hand, the two parts you've bolded are non-parallel. That's the problem.

You'd want "...were to separate ... and (to) find..."
eggpain24
Forum Guests

by eggpain24 Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
eggpain24 Wrote:HI,ron

Nope. Either can be used.

If you were to invent X, you would get rich —> If you actually come up with this invention (= something I see as unlikely), you will DEFINITELY get rich.

If you were to invent X, you could get rich —> If you actually come up with this invention (= something I see as unlikely), you MIGHT get rich, but that outcome still isn't certain (e.g., maybe you won't be prudent enough about protecting your intellectual property and/or good enough at negotiating a price for it).

wow!that's a point I need to pick up

thanks, Ron!