If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
DahyeK237
Forum Guests

GMAT... too low for MS in Accounting?

by DahyeK237 Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Hello!

I appreciate your response!
Last edited by DahyeK237 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: GMAT 590... too low for MS in Accounting?

by mbamissionjenK Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi there,

Do you have info on the average GMAT score for the most recent class? Ideally you wouldn't want to be below, say 50 points or so, of their average. Your GPA is good; in general you'd want to compare your profile and info against the class profile... if they don't post that info publicly you can still ask admissions for some of that info. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
DahyeK237
Forum Guests

by DahyeK237 Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:22 am

Thank you, Jennifer!

I actually just emailed the admissions and asked if they could give me more details on their GMAT requirement.

I do have a related question... I've read posts on different forums saying that looking at middle 80% gives you a better idea of your chance than looking at the average. Is that true?

MS in Accounting doesn't have the information on their website, but their MBA has the info. publicized. I'm assuming that MBA would be harder than MS. Their average is 659 (which is sadly more than 50 points difference for me...), but their middle 80% says 580-710. When I look at the middle 80%, it gives me hope (maybe illusion...) that I might have a chance.

Would you generally say that if the GMAT score is 50 points below than the average, high GPA won't be able to offset the effect? I do understand there are more facts playing in this whole process, but I'm feeling so lost at this point.

Thank you for your help.

- Kim
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Kim,

The MS Accounting programs CAN be fairly different from the MBA... in either direction (GMAT-wise) to be honest, so it's good to check for more info from their program director/admissions. They also can be a lot smaller, so that affects the selectivity, and the score ranges etc.

Looking at the mid 80% is interesting, but keep in mind a score below that range means less than 20% of the class are in that range.. so yes there ARE some accepted... but statistically not a ton, and that's out of ALL in those score levels who applied if that makes sense. Basically improving would help if it's an option, but again check with each school for more insight.

As for GPA, that will help to a degree, but the GMAT is usually more recent so that is kept in mind too.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php