If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Leprech17

GMAT Thresholds

by Leprech17 Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:23 pm

I have read and heard that some schools set thresholds on the different componants of the GMAT. For instance, top tier would require above 80% percentile for both Verbal and Quant. Is there any truth to this? The reason I ask is because I have scored better on Verbal than on Quant. I have a solid financial and quantitative background that should make up for my Quant score however but curious on if there is specific thresholds that schools use.
MBA Mission

Re: GMAT Thresholds

by MBA Mission Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks for your inquiry.

Generally, the benchmark for excellence is a 700 with a core above the 80th percentile on both the quantitative and verbal sections. However, when I state this, I grow concerned that candidates will interpret this score as a pre-requisite, which it certainly is not. We have helped candidates with far lower scores get into top-schools. This is why schools are at pains to state that they view candidacies holistically.

What is your overall score and breakdown? How much lower is your quant score? What other quantitative achievements can you point to professionally and academically?

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

http://www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Leprech17 Wrote:I have read and heard that some schools set thresholds on the different componants of the GMAT. For instance, top tier would require above 80% percentile for both Verbal and Quant. Is there any truth to this? The reason I ask is because I have scored better on Verbal than on Quant. I have a solid financial and quantitative background that should make up for my Quant score however but curious on if there is specific thresholds that schools use.
[url][/url]
Leprech17

by Leprech17 Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks for the response Jeremy. My breakdown was as follows: 40/90% V; 47/82% Q; 710/94% overall. My concern is that my quant score is just hovering above this 82% threshold. I believe I might be able to pull score up possibly an additional 20 points but it would require me to get back into study mode and not sure if being above this 80/80 threshold will suffice. On top of this, I am a finance undergrad and have worked in a financial rotational program and in audit work for the last 3+ years and plan to apply for class starting in fall of '09. I believe this experience will offset the lower quant score but was hoping for some advice. I also have seen scores creeping northwards as students spend more and more time preparing for GMAT. Do you think 2 years from now the answer to this question will be different?

Thanks.
Additional feedback?

RE: Thresholds

by Additional feedback? Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Any additional thoughts based on the additional information I provided above?

Thanks
MBA Mission

by MBA Mission Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. I think that your score is absolutely fine - you are a 710 with an 80th percentile on both the quant and verbal side. This is not a score that is going to bowl over the Admissions Committee, but it certainly is "safe." I don’t think that a 730 will make THE difference for you. Your professional work bolsters your claim that you will manage the rigors of the program. You are best off spending your time on something other than the GMAT at this point!

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

http://www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Leprech17 Wrote:Thanks for the response Jeremy. My breakdown was as follows: 40/90% V; 47/82% Q; 710/94% overall. My concern is that my quant score is just hovering above this 82% threshold. I believe I might be able to pull score up possibly an additional 20 points but it would require me to get back into study mode and not sure if being above this 80/80 threshold will suffice. On top of this, I am a finance undergrad and have worked in a financial rotational program and in audit work for the last 3+ years and plan to apply for class starting in fall of '09. I believe this experience will offset the lower quant score but was hoping for some advice. I also have seen scores creeping northwards as students spend more and more time preparing for GMAT. Do you think 2 years from now the answer to this question will be different?

Thanks.