Share your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions regarding your ManhattanGMAT course and curriculum.
tauseef_chauhan
Course Students

GMAT Score: 480

by tauseef_chauhan Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:46 am

I took the GMAT in the first week of June and my score was a 480. This was after taking the 9 week course.
I took a Kaplan prep course a couple of years back and then took the GMAT. My score was a 520.

Would it help if I take private tutoring. I think there may be some fundamental faults with my study habits that can be corrected and may improve my score.

Feedback will be greatly appreciated.
lee_0617
Students

Re: GMAT Score: 480

by lee_0617 Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Personally, I'm not a big fan of courses because it teaches students with varying abilites and needs in the same class, and because I can't afford them lol. I guess a qualified tutor can help personally address specific issues that you may have.
But since your results after taking courses have not been unsatisfactory, I suggest studying by yourself with books. I believe one can achieve 700+ by mastering the Manhatten GMAT and the official problems released by GMAC. While it requires a lot of discipline, I think it's the most efficent and effective way when done right.
I read and did the problems in all the Manhatten books twice, then worked through every problem in all the Official guides while studying the solutions for questions that I answered wrong. I analyzed what sections I struggled with (I had a lot of issues with Word Translations and SC), then reviewed those sections on Manhatten guide until I was comfortable with them. Finally, I did 6 practice tests avaliable on this site.
The whole process took me rougly 20~25 hours a week for 6 weeks. When I first started, I scored "average" on all sections except CR in the test yourself thing in the Official GMAT guide. When I wrote the GMAT, I scored 760.
Best of luck!