Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
PavanK217
Course Students

GMAT SC Idiom - 'seem'

by PavanK217 Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 am

seem/s+ infinitive
seems that + verb
seems as if + verb

The following sentences are marked as correct and incorrect, I wasn't able to figure out why the incorrect sentence is actually incorrect.

CORRECT: IT SEEMS AS IF this result DEMONSTRATES the new theory

INCORRECT: This result SEEMS AS IF IT DEMONSTRATES the new theory.

Can someone please explain why the incorrect sentence above is actually incorrect?

Thanks
Pavan
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: GMAT SC Idiom - 'seem'

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 am

This result SEEMS AS IF IT DEMONSTRATES the new theory

In this sentence, the pronoun 'it' is standing for the noun 'this result'. So, if I replaced the pronoun with the noun, the sentence would run: This result seems as if this result demonstrates the new theory. At the very least, this sentence is repetitive and clumsy, but it's also somewhat illogical. What is doing the seeming? The best interpretation I can find is that the result seems (i.e. appears) to demonstrate the theory. Alternatively, we could step back from the situation and use 'it seems...' as a "dummy pronoun", in the same way that we say 'It's raining.' In such sentences, the word 'it' doesn't stand for a noun. Hence the sentence

IT SEEMS AS IF this result DEMONSTRATES the new theory

Check out chapter 3 of All the Verbal Companion for more on dummy pronouns.
PavanK217
Course Students

by PavanK217 Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Sage Pearce-Higgins Wrote:This result SEEMS AS IF IT DEMONSTRATES the new theory

In this sentence, the pronoun 'it' is standing for the noun 'this result'. So, if I replaced the pronoun with the noun, the sentence would run: This result seems as if this result demonstrates the new theory. At the very least, this sentence is repetitive and clumsy, but it's also somewhat illogical. What is doing the seeming? The best interpretation I can find is that the result seems (i.e. appears) to demonstrate the theory. Alternatively, we could step back from the situation and use 'it seems...' as a "dummy pronoun", in the same way that we say 'It's raining.' In such sentences, the word 'it' doesn't stand for a noun. Hence the sentence

IT SEEMS AS IF this result DEMONSTRATES the new theory

Check out chapter 3 of All the Verbal Companion for more on dummy pronouns.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:32 pm

You're welcome.