Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
jahnavi_p
Students

GMAT Prep Question : SC

by jahnavi_p Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A.Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B.Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C.Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D.Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E.Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is
jeromecukier
Students

Re: GMAT Prep Question : SC

by jeromecukier Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 am

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A.Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B.Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C.Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D.Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E.Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

OA is A.
2 problems with B: between that of moderate growth. - what does that applies to? and
and are. which propositions is "and" linking?
C. the problem is the "who". This leaves the proposition introduced by "believe that" verbless.
D. Same as C, in addition, "will be" is awkward. "they will be certain to do something in the future". the meaning is not the same as they are (now) certain that they will do something in the future.
E. "which" and "is" relate to the Federal Reserve. This deprives the proposition "that policy makers at the Federal Reserve", of which policy makers are the subject, of a verb.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:45 am

jahnavi_p Wrote:Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

um... what's your question? you didn't ask a question in your post.

the fastest way to resolve this problem:

* "view NOUN to be ADJ" is unidiomatic; "view NOUN as ADJ" is idiomatically correct.
- this gets rid of (b)(d)(e) in one stroke.

* (c) isn't a complete sentence.
- you can ignore "many financial experts believe that", which is a "warmup". what's left should be a complete sentence.
in order to determine whether these choices are complete sentences, you can kill the modifier that's set off by 2 commas in each. you can also kill the prepositional phrase "at the federal reserve".
if you do so in (a), you get "policy makers are almost certain...", which is a complete sentence.
if you do so in (c), you get "policy makers who are almost certain...", which is not a complete sentence.
reagan88
Students

by reagan88 Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:53 am

Hi Ron,
I have a question regarding my approach.
Is it correct for me to KILL C,D,E because of the words Who , Who and Which respectively?

I ask this because 'who' like 'which' refers to the noun immediately preceding it and the 'RESERVE' can't possibly view the economy and its the policy makers who can.

Is this right?

Regards,
Reagan
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:56 am

reagan88 Wrote:Hi Ron,
I have a question regarding my approach.
Is it correct for me to KILL C,D,E because of the words Who , Who and Which respectively?

I ask this because 'who' like 'which' refers to the noun immediately preceding it and the 'RESERVE' can't possibly view the economy and its the policy makers who can.

Is this right?

Regards,
Reagan

"which" is wrong, because that would seem to refer (illogically) to the federal reserve itself.

on the other hand, "who" is perfectly able to apply to "policy makers at the federal reserve", and more generally to any construction of that type.
for instance,
people from new england who have spent ten or more years in miami often find winters intolerable if they move back north.
--> this is a correct sentence, in which "who" refers to "people from new england".
if you think about it for a little bit, you'll realize that it's necessary to allow this kind of modification; else it would be impossible to write a modifier that would describe such people/things.
tushaw
Course Students

by tushaw Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

I understand why choices b,c,d, and e are wrong. But I want to clarify a concept used in choice A.

comma + "-ing" form modifies the preceding clause. So then what is it modifying here?
Logically it makes sense for "viewing" to modify "policy makers".
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Logically you can think of it modifying the policy makers, but it really is modifying why "policy makers are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged"
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 am

Is D also wrong because of presence of 'that of'?

Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 am

indeed. good catch!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 pm

sachin.w Wrote:Is D also wrong because of presence of 'that of'?

Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

Hi - Re-opening this post

Hi Sage - could you confirm if "THAT OF" is wrong ? If so why

There is another thread going over how to eliminate but i was surprised to learn this could be a way to eliminate ...

Could you please throw some light on this way to eliminate ...

Thank you !

JD
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pm

I believe that we discussed this in a different thread: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p128926

Certainly, we can eliminate answer D because of 'that'. The word 'that' is being used to stand in for another noun, but it's not clear what noun it's standing in for, so that the meaning of answer D is unclear.