Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
nag

GMAT Prep 1

by nag Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:10 pm

This question is from GMAT Prep software Test 1. Can someone provide explaination regarding correcr answer:

suyash

idiom/usage of being

by suyash Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:04 am

Nag you need to know 2 things.First the idiom is likely to and not likely for/that.So you are left with two choices.Secondly,in second choice,what does it refer to though there is no problem with the sentence starting with because.This is an example gmac showing that being is not always incorrect!!!please coorect me instructors if i am wrong with my explanation(exactly ten days left for my gmat!)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:22 am

please don't post image files for verbal questions. image files should be reserved for problems that cannot be rendered meaningfully via normal forum text: i.e., math problems with diagrams and/or complicated algebraic expressions.

in other words, there is no reason to use image files to render verbal problems.
ever.

please type the text of the problem into this thread, and then we'll be able to answer the question. thank you.
nag

MGMAT 1

by nag Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal nature.
a) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
b) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
c) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
d) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
e) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will become

I selected B but correct answer is D. Any help is appreciated

GMAT Prep 1

by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:50 am

Any insight from MGMAT staff
Dhruv

by Dhruv Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:25 pm

I think the only thing one has to decide here is whether the sentence should start with "because" or should it start with "being".
If you decide that it should start with because, then obviously b is right and if you decide it should start with being, then obviously d is right
I know "being" does not sound correct and its not possible for a "normal" person to get that right
i guess the only way to get this right is this.....
both the options which start with "because" have an anomoly
"because they are" - who are? the plants are referred long after they
"because it is" - what is?? again the plants are referred long after it
shoudnt it be the other way round? the plants should be referred first and then "it" or "they"
thus both the options starting with "because" are out. that leaves you only with options starting with "being"
I dont think you should have a problem once you get to this stage...
but yes... very difficult problem... you will get this only if ur percentile in verbal is crossing 97%
i got 97% in verbal... but i dont think i got asked a question which was that difficult.
mihir

simpley becasue /being

by mihir Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:00 am

If you flip the sentence ...you will realize that IT can modify wrong things...IT should always modify a plant...
so try that out...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:08 am