The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.

GMAT Debrief----(Attempt #2)

by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:52 pm

I haven't done much studying since my last exam and I think it really made a difference.

The quant section this time was super difficult. They started me out with a VIC question that contained four variables, percentage changes, and asked me to calculate profit. I know that I got this one wrong and spent 4 mins on it!

Anyhow, I made it through quant and moved along to verbal. My first verbal question was nice and easy and it really helped me get confidence. I didn't see my first RC question until question 10 which helped me get into a groove. I thought the verbal section was so much more reasonable compared to last time. 3/4 RC's were short, and the answers for the SC and CR questions were easier to find.

I ended up with a 650 (42M 63%ile, 38V 83%ile). My math score dropped 2 points from my last attempt and my verbal score went up 11 points.

I'm a bit disappointed because I was rocking the 700's easily throughout my entire studying experience and couldn't get it done on the real thing, but I think a 650 is a respectable score and don't feel like taking it again.

My advice to you all is: DO NOT BE A GMAT FREAK like I was. If you think getting into a top B-school is a matter of life and death, if you're always scanning the boards for new questions, get upset over an answer explanation that you think it arguable, want to know what its like to write on the eraser boards, or any other type of obsessive behavior, STOP NOW.

Doing well on the GMAT is all about learning the skills to solve the problems. No matter how many sentence correction problems you do, I can promise you that you're going to get some wrong on the GMAT. Everyone does. The most important thing is to make sure that you do the essays and prepare yourself for the mental challenge. Be a cool customer and try to think of the test as a fun activity.

Thank you Stacey and Ron for answering my questions. I'm gonna miss this site!
Ferrari

by Ferrari Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:24 am

Good advice. Thanks and good luck!

by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:40 am

Good job! A 650 won't keep you out of a top or mid-tier school and neither will it get you in. IMO, as long as you're in the 80% range, they'll move on to the other parts of your application without concern. This is probably how it goes down at admissions:
Step 1: 650, that's OK; 750, wow!
Step 2: Now show me what you've got.

The latter is the part that really matters. Your advice about obsessing over the test is right on point. Now on to those essays - you will get more out of it by investing your time on those essays than by stressing for 50 more points.

by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Anonymous Wrote:Good job! A 650 won't keep you out of a top or mid-tier school and neither will it get you in. IMO, as long as you're in the 80% range, they'll move on to the other parts of your application without concern. This is probably how it goes down at admissions:
Step 1: 650, that's OK; 750, wow!
Step 2: Now show me what you've got.

The latter is the part that really matters. Your advice about obsessing over the test is right on point. Now on to those essays - you will get more out of it by investing your time on those essays than by stressing for 50 more points.

Thanks for the advice. I just received another "6" on the AWA's so hopefully this will invite some curiosity into what I have to say on my essays. I have a pretty interesting story so we'll see what happens.

Some other pieces of advice I can offer is:

1)No when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Nothing is worse then spending to minutes on a problem, getting an answer, and realizing that you're answer isn't in the selections. Re-read the question carefully, figure out EXACTLY what they're asking, write out the answer in your own terms, and double check your work. If you can't come to an answer, then make a ballpark guess and move on. It sucks when you've practiced a problem 100 times and can't get an answer on game day, but you have to understand that you need to lose some battles to win the war.

2) If you figure out an answer in 30 second to 1 minute, be very careful that it's correct and think of other factors that could give you another answer. You will often see that the problem is a bit more complicated then it seems and you need to apply another step before getting it correct

3) For RC, paraphrase each sentence an sum of the paragraphs in your own words and don't be afraid to make exaggerated conclusions. (Author loves alternative power sources, especially when soybeans are involved!) Even if you don't read the notes when going through the questions, you'll have a better understanding of what the paragraph is saying and won't fall into the traps.

4) For CR, make sure to read the question stems twice before choosing an answer. Pick the answer that is undeniable and is applicable to the time frame of the stem (future implications, present evidence, etc.)

GL

5) For SC, try to separate the answer choices into groups. Look for words in the sentence that aren't underlined which call for parallelism in the underlined portion and cross off the groups that don't apply. This will really help you narrow down your choices and pick a justifiable answer.

by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:00 pm

*Know

And proof read your AWA's! lol

good luck to all

Re: GMAT Debrief----(Attempt #2)

by guest Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:16 am

Anonymous Wrote:I haven't done much studying since my last exam and I think it really made a difference.

The quant section this time was super difficult. They started me out with a VIC question that contained four variables, percentage changes, and asked me to calculate profit. I know that I got this one wrong and spent 4 mins on it!

Anyhow, I made it through quant and moved along to verbal. My first verbal question was nice and easy and it really helped me get confidence. I didn't see my first RC question until question 10 which helped me get into a groove. I thought the verbal section was so much more reasonable compared to last time. 3/4 RC's were short, and the answers for the SC and CR questions were easier to find.

I ended up with a 650 (42M 63%ile, 38V 83%ile). My math score dropped 2 points from my last attempt and my verbal score went up 11 points.

I'm a bit disappointed because I was rocking the 700's easily throughout my entire studying experience and couldn't get it done on the real thing, but I think a 650 is a respectable score and don't feel like taking it again.

My advice to you all is: DO NOT BE A GMAT FREAK like I was. If you think getting into a top B-school is a matter of life and death, if you're always scanning the boards for new questions, get upset over an answer explanation that you think it arguable, want to know what its like to write on the eraser boards, or any other type of obsessive behavior, STOP NOW.

Doing well on the GMAT is all about learning the skills to solve the problems. No matter how many sentence correction problems you do, I can promise you that you're going to get some wrong on the GMAT. Everyone does. The most important thing is to make sure that you do the essays and prepare yourself for the mental challenge. Be a cool customer and try to think of the test as a fun activity.

Thank you Stacey and Ron for answering my questions. I'm gonna miss this site!

great advice. good job. good luck.
GMAT Eater

You shoud try to raise your score

by GMAT Eater Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:24 pm

I am sorry to disagree with many in this forum, but 650 will keep you out of top 20 schools, particularly this year when there is a surge in applications. The admission consultants (I am not one of them) are saying they are seeing record number of 700+ applicants to top 20 programs. So a 650 will get you nowhere unless you have major strengths in other areas. Even 680 will not make you stand out in a crowded field.