If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
anandbarot712
Forum Guests

Gmat 760 : chances at top bschools

by anandbarot712 Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 am

Hi,

I took the GMAT recently and got 760 ( Q51(97%) , V 40( 90%)). IR score is 7.

My profile summary is as follows:

Academics:

I have done my engineering from IIT Bombay which is one of the premiere technical institutes in the world. I have a B.TECH. + M.TECH. degree from IIT . I also topped my batch receiving a silver medal at graduation in 2011 with a CGPA of 9.59/10. My other academics, 10th and 12th standard are decent enough in the 85% range.

Work-experience:

I got placed in American Express India from campus in its Risk Management division as Business Analyst. Though I was not in a managerial role, I was part of a team that built financial models for company's US and International Markets. I was in American Express for 21 months. I left the job to take up a different role in a mildly large business firm where I work today as assistant to the MD.The company is primary involved in processing and trading Agro based commodities. I assist the MD in all the decision making such as in acquiring a new company or setting a new show room for the company's furniture division.

I am applying for 2014 entry into b-school. I will have some 3 years of work-ex by then.

Extra-curricular activities:

I have been and am also currently involved with various non-profit organizations and NGOs that do social work. I assist in their education and women empowerment related initiatives. In my new job, I have been able to particularly involve myself more with these activities which I have a passion for.
In school as well as college, I was involved in many social and cultural activities.

Hobbies:

I like writing about my experiences. Occasionally, read mystery novels and play cricket . I am an avid cricket fan. I pay and watch the sport.

Questions:

1) I am thinking of applying to top US b schools(Harvard, Stanford,Wharton,etc) and LBS. How are my chances of getting in with this score and profile? Or should I apply to other tier 2 schools just to be on the safer side?

2) Which school/schools might be more suitable to my profile?

3) Does the GMAT score play a role in getting scholarships/loans for the MBA program? Does the score play a role in placements too?

I would really like to hear from your side. Thanks.

Regards,
Anand
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Gmat 760 : chances at top bschools

by mbamissionjenK Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi Anand,

Congrats on the excellent GMAT score. That certainly helps your chances of admission at top b-schools, as does your academics and your experience. While there is a large pool of Indian engineering applicants, your Amex experiences help to differentiate you from the group, as does your community involvement if you can truly speak to how passionate about it you are, and why, and describe impact you've made.

You have not mentioned what your post-MBA goals are... an important component of your application, and also relevant for choosing a school which is a good fit for you. You can check out our free download about choosing schools at http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

I would encourage you to give it a shot at top programs like those you've mentioned, and also to include 1-3 programs outside the top 8 or so to have more options, and potentially more scholarship options. Perhaps a school like Tepper would be of interest with your background, just a thought, but lots of programs out there to consider.

Yes your score will help with scholarship offers; not usually for loans, not usually for placement though occasionally at large firms who commonly hire a lot of MBA grads.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php