If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ChristopherW634
Course Students

GMAT 710 - Q47, V40 Retake?

by ChristopherW634 Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:21 pm

I recently took the GMAT, and scored a 710 (Q47 / V40). Leading up to the exam, my practice test scores on verbal were typically 96th percentile plus and my quant score was consistently around 47.

Ideally I would like to apply to Columbia (I will likely apply early decision). As a little background I am a 26 year old male, 3.6 GPA from a top liberal arts college, 3 years of work experience in investment banking and three years of middle market private equity work experience.

Is it worth taking the test again to try and realize my full potential on the verbal section / push my quant score to a more even split?

Thanks in advance for your help!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: GMAT 710 - Q47, V40 Retake?

by mbaMissionKate Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi there! You have a good score, high enough to demonstrate you can handle the MBA coursework at a school like Columbia. Plus you have a good GPA. So I don't think a retake is necessary. But a 710 is just slightly below Columbia's 715 average. And it sounds like you think you can do better based on practice tests and I encourage applicants to do everything they can (in their power) to maximize their chances. Since you say you are applying early decision, I assume you'll be applying next year? First of all, that's great, because that can help your chances slightly. Secondly, if that's the case, then I would go ahead and give the test another shot. You've got time, it can't hurt (except for the $250 it'll set you back), they will accept your highest score, and I think you'll feel better knowing you put your absolute best foot forward on that part of the application.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out with any other questions!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php