Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
hetalz
Students

General Question on strategy for AWA Issue Essay

by hetalz Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:39 pm

I am confused about the Issue essay. Should I
a) be writing a persuasive essay that strongly advocates one side over the other or
b) be more objective, consider issues on both sides, and slightly favor one side over the other.

In the first case I would have three body paragraphs describing three reasons that strongly favor one side. The only mention of the other side would be in the introduction/conclusion. For example: ..."while there are some advantages to A (not specifying what)..there are also many problems..for instance x, y and z. Hence people should do B".

In the second case, perhaps the third body paragraph would be devoted to talking about the opposing side of the argument and then refuting those points (so in the end still supporting your case), but still giving due worth to the opposing side. Or perhaps each body paragraph may mention an opposing argument, but refute it.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: General Question on strategy for AWA Issue Essay

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Generally, you are writing a persuasive essay, yes. You should always acknowledge the other side - the topics they give us are ones on which reasonable people can disagree.

Your general attitude is, well, yes, some people will think ABC and that's sometimes the case, but most of the time, it's really XYZ, and here's why.

Don't spend too much time discussing the other side, though - that's a much harder essay to write, and you only have 30 minutes start to finish. Your primary goal is to write a good-enough essay that doesn't tire you out before the multiple choice. I generally only "acknowledge the other side" in the intro and conclusion.

This article may be of interest to you:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/12/ ... -no-thanks
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep