The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
ADHD Test Taker's Debrief

from 570 to 710 with ADHD

by ADHD Test Taker's Debrief Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:11 am

Ever since I first embarked on the GMAT-journey, this test had almost owned my life. I took a class last year with a certain "boutique" GMAT group whose name starts with a V and ends in S. Their verbal teaching methods were pretty helpful, but their quantitative sessions weren't all that helpful. I do admit, however, that my math might have been so weak that I was not ready for the class. But then again, why would anyone who was already good at something take a class for it, right?

Anyway, I took the test 4 times. Yes. I spent $1,000 just on taking the tests. Add something like $1250 for the class and $500 for private tutoring (from the same company) and something like $300 for books and materials, and we are talking over $3,000. All that before B-school. I am so looking forward to another $1000-$1200 on business school applications and $500-$800 for campus visits and interviews. Wow. That's just sick amount of money. I could have taken a nice vacation with that kind of money.

To make the long story short, I took my fourth and final test a few days ago and scored a 710. Needless to say, I am more than pleased since my first attempt yielded a score of 570. I studied REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard. I systematically went over EVERYTHING I got wrong during a practice test or while going through problem sets. I timed everything and re-solved everything I got wrong or took too long (more than 2 minutes) to solve. I did the OG and the supplemental guides as well as the GMAT Bible from Math Hack. I used Kaplan toward the end for added challenge and faster pacing (their quizzes do not give you full 2 mins for question on math).

I also prayed a lot. Seriously. Not to get too religious here, but I really did. Not so much for a better score, but for a peace of mind and to be reminded that my score doesn't define my identity or even my future. I determined before the test that I was going to be satisfied no matter the result and that I already have a lot more than I deserve. Just the fact that we are all contemplating going to business school makes us "better off" (speaking very broadly and generally) than most people in the world.

So my key to "success" is STUDY HARD (I put in 175-200 hours in 6 weeks), STUDY "SMART" (quality over quantity- address your weaknesses over and over again. Then go back after a week and do it again- you will mostly have forgotten the concept. Repetition is VERY important), RELAX (see this test as a fun puzzle, a riddle, or whatever.. a game.. just get through it. Taking practice tests will help you with pacing. That will help you relax more on the actual test day), DO NOT PANIC, and have fun.

If someone with ADHD can go from 570 to 710, ANYONE can get a good score.

Note: I am not on medication. Got a 620 last time and 710 this time. The 570 was before I knew I was ADHD (well, I kinda' do. just wasn't officially diagnosed). I did NOT get any special accommodation for the test.
Y

re:from 570 to 710 with ADHD

by Y Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Great fight dude :D

You have struggle to your fate; you will surely get your dream school
GMAT Eater

Congratulations and thanks for the great post

by GMAT Eater Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:04 am

Congratulations. People like yourself keep hope alive.

GMAT is a struggle for the vast majority. Scoring in the 700s is something to be proud of, especially if you took the long and hard road to get there. Success is measued by how many obstacles you had to overcome, and you have been successful.
taking the gmat tomorrow!

Thank you for the much needed encouragement and motivation

by taking the gmat tomorrow! Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Thank you....your post is very encouraging especially because I am taking my GMAT tomorrow for the first time. Will go with all my prayers and confidence. Do pray for me :)

Good luck with whatever you pursue in life!
eran.ariel
Forum Guests

Re: from 570 to 710 with ADHD

by eran.ariel Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:35 am

To share the experience, I received a 560 on the GMAT not knowing at the time that I had ADHD, and to an extent, I attribute this experience, along with other factors, in leading me to being properly diagnosed.

I am taking stimulants, which have made a huge difference on my ability to concentrate. However, I did not pursue my MBA, as I my tech venture consumed all of my time.

I still wonder at times whether it would be possible to "factor" into my GMAT grade... anyhow, the rest is history..
SenyoA564
Course Students

Re: from 570 to 710 with ADHD

by SenyoA564 Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:26 pm

I love the prayer part. Not to get religious but just to remind us that spiritual energy is always needed.