If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
saurabhbanerjeeiimk
Forum Guests

Forth Edition Word Translations, Combinometrics Pg 76 Q15

by saurabhbanerjeeiimk Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:09 am

The question reads as "Gordon buys 5 dolls for his 5 nieces."

Why is 4!/2!= 12 being explained as the ways in which the youngest niece gets the GI doll. The calculation is based on the dolls OTHER than the GI doll.
tim
Course Students

Re: Forth Edition Word Translations, Combinometrics Pg 76 Q15

by tim Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 am

Exactly. If we want to calculate the number of ways to give the GI doll to the youngest niece, we give her the GI doll first and then calculate all the ways to give out the other dolls as well. Every one of these possibilities is different, but they all give the GI doll to the youngest niece..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
saurabhbanerjeeiimk
Forum Guests

by saurabhbanerjeeiimk Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:26 am

Not clear yet :(

Q1. As per the answer, AFTER the GI doll is given to niece E, the combination for the 4 remaining dolls is calculated for the OTHER 4 nieces, i.e neice E is excluded from the 4 nieces. Which would imply that the 12 ways are for the 4 nieces.

Q2. Is this question based on the "Glue method"

If your answer to Q2 is Yes, then kindly explain the calculation related to the 4 remaining dolls (by correlating it to the Glue method)

Thanks a ton an advance!
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:47 pm

EXACTLY! There are 12 ways we can give the dolls out to the other 4 neices. You’re right; it sounds like you agree with me 100%. Unfortunately that means I’m not seeing where your question lies. This problem does not need to use the glue method, to answer your second question..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
pranabiitkgp
Forum Guests

by pranabiitkgp Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:49 am

Hi ,
I dont understand the slot method very well , but easy with permutation .
So can this be explained as bellow -
Is it a permutation of picking 5 out of 5 where 2 are same - 5P2/!2 ?
If this is correct so can it be like if there were 3 sisters instead of 5 , with all other condition intact ,the solution would have been -

Total # of ways to distribute SSEGT among 3 sisters (without restriction) is 5P3/!2 = 15;
The # of ways when the youngest niece gets G is: 4P2/!2 = 6 (give G to youngest and then distribute SSET among 2 sisters).

So, # of ways when youngest niece doesn't get G is:15-6 = 9 .

Please explain for better understanding . Thanks.
pranabiitkgp
Forum Guests

by pranabiitkgp Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:52 am

a typo correction to my previous post -
Is it a permutation of picking 5 out of 5 where 2 are same - 5P5/!2
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:24 pm

pranabiitkgp Wrote:a typo correction to my previous post -
Is it a permutation of picking 5 out of 5 where 2 are same - 5P5/!2

Correct! So your calculation is:

5!
2!1!1!1!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
adm45
Course Students

by adm45 Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

Why does the anagram have SSETG and SSET when all over previous any grams have usually have Yes NO or IN OUT?

Why is the glue method not applicable here? What is the trap that is making me think this and how can I avoid that?

Please explain what "pranabiitkgp" wrote; I don't understand the way she explains permutations, the symbols confuse me. Is there an exact page where these symbols are explained?
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:00 pm

adm45 Wrote:Why does the anagram have SSETG and SSET when all over previous any grams have usually have Yes NO or IN OUT?

Why is the glue method not applicable here? What is the trap that is making me think this and how can I avoid that?

Please explain what "pranabiitkgp" wrote; I don't understand the way she explains permutations, the symbols confuse me. Is there an exact page where these symbols are explained?

pranabiitkgp is referencing a common way of selecting permutations- 5 pick 2, or 5 choose 2: If I have 5 things, I choose 2 of those things(5!/2!3!). Unfortunately, if I under him/her correctly (and it's very possible I don't), I don't think this works here because of your first question. We're not selecting 2 things and leaving 3 things behind. We're reordering five things, one which is a duplicate.

There's a few different ways you could do this problem, the glue method is one of them. You could find the number of arrangements when the youngest niece gets each of the four other types of dolls OR, you could glue the GI doll to the youngest niece and eliminate those possibilities from the total number of arrangements: 5!/2!1!1!1! - 4!/2!/1!/1! = 60 - 12 = 48
Joe Lucero