Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com

Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers:

by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Hello Everybody,

I got this question on my GMATPrep test 1, I was trying to figure out what is it saying, but I had such a mental block, that I couldn't understand the argument. Even now, in piece of mind, I still have that mental block. Could someone please explain what is argument is and how to resolve such arguments in future. Thank you very much.
alxndr

by alxndr Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Its a strengthen question.
Subscribers survey Finding: 30% all orders placed in response to Ads were by "subscribers" < 35
Ads survey findings: Most (>50%) of all orders placed in response to Ads were by "people" < 35.

(Note the quotes)

So it means that there were some people whoe were not subscribers to the magazine.

Mathematically,
Say,
No of orders: 100
No of subsc under 35 who ordered: 30

No of orders by people (subsc+non-subsc) under 35: 51

No of orders by non-subsc under 35: 51-30=21

Only E says this!!

A Whether subscribers never ordered has no bearing, argument concerns people who ordered.
B May be true, but is not a Must, as the argument concerns people who ordered as opposed to subscribers
C actually weakens (or refutes) the claim.
D Argument concerns number of orders and not value of orders
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:31 pm

hi -

please type problems like this directly into forum posts. many of our users and moderators (myself included) are on slow connections and require unreasonable amounts of time to load images.
per the forum rules, you should only use image files for problems that can't be posted in the forum itself. by definition, this will never apply to verbal problems, since verbal problems consist entirely of words.
thank you.

by the way, you posted a .bmp file, which is just about the worst thing that you can do. .bmp files are HUGE; if you'd posted a .jpg file, it would at least have a fighting chance of loading in a reasonable period of time.