Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
zaynz752
Students

express the content of laws or regulations

by zaynz752 Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 am

Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the next three years.
a) forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the next three years
c) that for the next three years forbids state and local governments to raise taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet

my question: the correct answer is c), which uses a appositive modifier to express the content of a law. but I remember that we should use an participle modifier to express the concrete content of a law. is it right?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: express the content of laws or regulations

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Please read the forum rules before posting: please search before posting and, if you do post, post the entire question text. This will allow for a better discussion of the problem in the thread. There's actually a thread here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/post7311.html

I'm not sure which modifier you're referring to as I can't see an appositive in this sentence. I usually avoid such technical terms as they tend to create more problems than they solve. Also, you refer to a rule about expressing the content of a law. Where did you find this? Let's continue this discussion in the thread linked above.