Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
AZ679
Forum Guests

Exceptions to repeat rule of pronouns

by AZ679 Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:40 am

Repeat rule says:
Every it and its must refer to the same singular antecedent.

But this rule does not work for a problem in GMAC Verbal Review 2nd Edition: SC, problem 92

I cannot write the question here, as it is not allowed.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Exceptions to repeat rule of pronouns

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:29 am

AZ679 Wrote:Repeat rule says:

But this rule does not work for a problem in GMAC Verbal Review 2nd Edition: SC, problem 92

if you're looking at pronouns that appear in completely different clauses, then such a correspondence is not required, since you're essentially dealing with 2 different sentences.
AZ679
Forum Guests

by AZ679 Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:05 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
AZ679 Wrote:Repeat rule says:

if you're looking at pronouns that appear in completely different clauses, then such a correspondence is not required, since you're essentially dealing with 2 different sentences.

Well, this makes the things complicated.
I should think more about this and perhaps analyse some other questions.
The rule that I mentioned from Manhattan SC book is quite clear and easy to apply. But if we have to apply this rule for 'completely different clauses', then it will not be that much easy to use this rule in every case.
I do agree that if two sentences are separated from each other by a period, then they are 2 different sentences. But in the question that I said, for example, they are still in one complex sentence, with some main and dependent clauses.

Is there anything that you would like to add or explain?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 am

I'd like to add that that's what we're here on the forums for - to help explain concepts like this that might not be clear in the materials you're studying. Feel free to bring up any such concerns you have in the future, and we'll try our best to help you!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
AZ679
Forum Guests

by AZ679 Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:22 am

tim Wrote:I'd like to add that that's what we're here on the forums for - to help explain concepts like this that might not be clear in the materials you're studying. Feel free to bring up any such concerns you have in the future, and we'll try our best to help you!

Thanks Tim for you encouraging words.
Well, my perception is (or was) that Manhattan guys are not indeed happy with being asked questions.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:58 am

i can only speak for myself here, but ... if i specifically disliked answering questions on forums, i wouldn't have taken the job of answering questions on forums.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:31 pm

We do enjoy answering appropriate questions! One thing everyone can do to ensure they are asking appropriate questions is to read the existing explanations and follow the forum rules so we can spend more of our time on the forums answering new and relevant questions. This makes the forum process more productive for all of us. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html