Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
sanjaylakhani

Examples in Analysis of an Issue

by sanjaylakhani Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:33 pm

HI, while writing analysis of an issue, i really fail to come up with examples. It is one of major hindrance i face while writing an essay. People suggest that we should have atleast one example per paragraph, however i find it extremely difficult.

I got a topic " Juvenile crime is a very serious problem and businesses must help to prevent it"

Can somebody pls help me as to what examples to quote under this topic...

Thanks in advance
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:49 am

hi sanjay.

the issue topics are all going to be potential subjects of debate; every topic will be some statement of opinion, both for and against which a case can be made.

here's what i find to be the best way to generate topics. it's pretty pedestrian, but here it is:
imagine that you're discussing this issue around the dinner table, and think about what would come to mind.

you see, when people discuss topics such as those that arise in the issue essays, they don't just argue around and around in circles of platitudes and generalizations. most people, when confronted with contentious issues, will immediately get into examples that support or refute certain positions.

so:
if you were discussing this topic around the dinner table, how would you respond?

examples that come to my mind within a few seconds include the following:

mostly against:
the primary raison d'être of a business is to generate a profit, secondary considerations aside. therefore, while business should, at a minimum, be expected to adhere to laws protecting youth - e.g., liquor stores should of course take it upon themselves not to sell any liquor to anyone who might be underage - it's unreasonable to expect them to prevent any indirect consequences. for instance, if the parents of underage children purchase liquor, it's unreasonable to expect the liquor store to control the parents' ability to serve the liquor to their children. to expect such things is to undermine the authority of the family and to delegate that authority to random businesses instead, clearly an untenable plan.

mostly for:
businesses are just as much a part of their communities as are the residents of those communities, and so the businesses owe it to the community to contribute to the safety of local youth. therefore, regulations should be put in place that require business owners and workers to notify authorities of any potential danger to youth. for example, in areas with curfew laws, businesses should be required to notify police if underage youth are loitering on their premises after curfew hours.

those are just the first 2 things that come to my mind.

unless you would literally just sit there and not partake in the dinner-table conversation, you should have things to say about the topic, too. use those things as your examples.