Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
rishijmehta
Course Students

Exam 5: The Power of Percents

by rishijmehta Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm having trouble seeing the leep where it says in the answer explanation, "Because a and b are positive integers and a < b, we know that the value of b must be greater than or equal to 2.".

Thanks for the help! Sorry looks like everything wont paste over.

------------------

If a, b, and c are positive integers such that a < b < c, is a% of b% of c an integer?

We can rephrase the question as follows:

Is an integer?

Is an integer?

(1) INSUFFICIENT: We can simplify the given equation and substitute into our rephrased question:

Is an integer?

Is an integer?

Is an integer?

The variable c is an integer, but we have no idea whether c is a multiple of 100. c/100 might be an integer, but it also might not be.

(2) SUFFICIENT: We can substitute this value into our rephrased question:

Is an integer?

Is ab(100b-2) an integer?

Because a and b are positive integers and a < b, we know that the value of b must be greater than or equal to 2. Therefore, b−2 > 0. If this is the case, then the minimum possible value of 100b-2 is 1000 = 1 and every other possible value is also an integer (1001, 1002, and so on). As a result, the product of the integers a, b, and 100b-2 must also be an integer.

The correct answer is B.
rishijmehta
Course Students

Re: Exam 5: The Power of Percents

by rishijmehta Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Ah, I am all set. I got it. Pretty straight forward, but I guess I needed time away from it!

Since a and b are positive integers and b>a, b must be 2 or greater since the lowest a could be is 1.
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Cool. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
drtfyghujd403
Forum Guests

by drtfyghujd403 Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:25 pm

I dont quite understand the reasoning behind Statement 2. Can anyone explain please? I do see how Statement 1 is not sufficient though.
Heres the full question:
If a, b, and c are positive integers such that a < b < c, is a% of b% of c an integer?

(1)b = (a/100)^-1

(2) c = 100^b
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:49 am

as a starting hint, "a% of b% of c" can be rewritten as (a/100)(b/100)(c), or abc/10000.

beyond this point, you'll have to state specifically what you don't understand.
what have you tried?
which parts do you understand?
where are you getting stuck?
etc.

see, these problems already have answer keys. so, if you just say "i'm stuck" without any specifics, then the best course of action is simply to point you to the answer key.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:49 am

also—
if there's something in the answer key that you don't understand, please copy and paste that part of the answer key into your question.

thanks.