Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
eshh
Students

Every: singular or plural

by eshh Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:21 am

Hi,

I saw from Manhattan SC book (page 164) that "every" is always singular, e.g. "every dog and cat has paws", but what about this sentence "every two children has/ have one bag"? Here, should we use "has" or "have"?

Thanks.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Every: singular or plural

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 am

Well done for challenging yourself to think up examples. However, be careful not to spend too long doing this, as it can be really confusing (and a distraction from more profitable study).

I have never heard any similar phrase to 'every two children'. If I wanted to say something similar, I might use 'every pair of children' or 'every group of two children'. The rule stated in in the SC guide is really pointing out that we don't use 'every' with a plural noun. We definitely can't say 'every animals' or 'every books'. Therefore, if forced to chose, I'd go with 'every two children has a bag'.

Finally, we're now off the kind of topics that GMAT tests and are, delightfully perhaps, musing over the grammar of English.
eshh
Students

by eshh Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:11 am

Thanks a lot!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:55 am

You're welcome.